loose roof gaskets

lamadsenlamadsen Member Posts: 1
Our 2008 T@B, Shadow, had the gaskets between the side and top come loose on a recent trip. I did a search and found the reference to the shoe goo fix but the discussion was really about something else. It seems like others have had this problem, particularly in the heat [which was the case for us] and I am wondering what to do. Do we need new gaskets, apply a silicone or other flexible sealant, some other solution? Any help would be appreciated.
Lynn

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2014
    You would be best served in calling the factory and speaking directly with Ed Kauffman as he should be able to give you the best advice since your unit is no longer under warranty.   His contact information is located under the T@B Contact Number area located in the right-hand side of this page.  Call him directly as he spends a lot of time down on the factory floor and you will get him quicker that way.....  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65
    We heard horror stories about the permanent black marks that the loose gaskets can cause if it happens as you're flying down the road. Then we met a great couple this weekend in Port Townsend who had it happen to them and they got ALL the markings off with GooGone and Mr Clean Magic Sponge. You would never have even known it had ever happened. That's reassuring.

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

• IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    Unless the rubber strip is damaged, just apply dots of flexible adhesive in the slot that slides over the plastic trim (I used Shoe Goo) about every 6 inches or so and press it back on. If you need to replace some of the gasket, I understand you can get it by the foot by calling Ed.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I used Shoe Goo, as well, a dab every several inches.  Mine is an '07.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• kbrnrkbrnr Member Posts: 9
    I had a section of gasket about 6" long that was bowed out. Dealer supposedly fixed it, but, not really. I put a few drops of dish soap on it for lube and, using the handle of a wooden spoon to protect the gasket, pounded it back in with a plastic mallet.