Honda crv 4 cylinder

i just bought my t@b and a 2012 honda crv fwd 4 cylinder to pull it. It's just my dog and me and I don't carry much "stuff". I took a short "test" trip and other than poor gas mileage, there didn't seem to be a problem. But friday i leave for a two month trip through north west US. Plenty of mountainous areas. Should I be concerned?

Comments

• XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    You are definitely going to feel it. Do you have an electric brake controller in your vehicle? If not, get one. Also- be prepared to be the slow driver, and look for slow moving vehicle lanes.

Is your transmission automatic or manual? Keep an eye on temps. The biggest thing is take it easy- and I would suspect with that rig, plan on 55-60.

LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Several websites show the max tow capacity of a 2012 Honda CR-V as 1500 lbs.  I would suggest that you check your particular vehicle's max tow capacity, max hitch weight, and GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) to make sure the T@B you bought will fall within these limits after it's loaded.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • courtneybrowning1984courtneybrowning1984 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. I already drive 50 and pull over to let people pass. I'll watch the temp - good tip! The transmission is automaticc. I won't use cruise control. 
  • John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    After checking with what ADENTEURER said above see if you are ok from a legal standpoint and an insurance standpoint. If not your insurance could deny any accident claim and you may get a ticket also. T@B GAWR are 2900  and the GVWR are 2800. Your exact numbers should be on the sticker on your T@B
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Forgot. An old adage a service manager told us "it's not what you can tow it's what you can stop safely "
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

Here is an excellent article posted by RZRBUG from Purdue University regarding all aspects of towing a trailer:

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ppp/ppp-92.pdf

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Had to give up my 2009 Chevy HHR, which towed my tent trailer [the larger size with queen beds on either end, "82 Rockwood] which weighed a little less than the T@B- S I now have. Tried to tow the T@B with it, not enough power, and too light!  REALLY miss 28 to 30 MPG and being able to use cruise control.  Now am towing with my '72 Chevy 1/2 ton P/U, with a 350 v8. Gas mileage is not good, so am looking for a better alternative, such as a jeep with a V6.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    We used a CRV for the first year, but then found out that because it was only rated to tow 1500, we would have been out in the cold in an insurance situation. We traded up to a 2012 Pilot, and it has been easy as pie. 
  • courtneybrowning1984courtneybrowning1984 Member Posts: 5
    I'm calling my insurance company next. Good point. I JUST bought this Honda crv. Wish I'd have asked these questions before. A 6 cylinder sure would be nice.bthanks for the input