Options

Fools I'll Tell Ya - Late Arriving Fools

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
edited May 2016 in Camping & Travel
Sitting here in a nice little BLM spot west of a National Park watching all these late afternoon NP campground refuges out trying to find a spot for the night. The NP campground is first come, first served and there's not a chance in hell you'd get in there here at 5:00 in the afternoon. Was talking to the guy at the visitor center and traffic is up 20% so far this spring.
Have seen people show up as late as 1:00am - Crazy.
A convoy of three 24+ footers just pulled in - Don't look like they've ever boondocked in their lives. Not many sites here that will accommodate that length. This could be good :-)

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited May 2016
    It didn't happen if there are no pics. :wink:

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Here's how it looked outside Yellowstone NP.
  • Options
    sabel - Where exactly? Thinking of heading up that way next.
  • Options
    Buffalo Bill State Park,  just west of Cody, through the tunnels, and about 45 miles to the East Entrance of Yellowstone. We went to a 125th birthday party for Lake Hotel. Much fun.
    Only three camp grounds open in Yellowstone, Mammoth , Fishing Bridge and Madison.
    There's two open camp grounds in the State Park, both have electric hook ups but need to reserve by phone.
  • Options
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I stopped up (17miles north) a couple days ago at our local San Juan National Forest campground, Haviland Lake, to check out spots for dual RV camping with some friends...on 6/10.  I found a few nice combinations of spots, then went on line.  Noooo...booked solid that weekend a month in advance...bummer!  Moab and Arches have gone nutso except off season...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    While in the visitor center a lot of people here heading over to Moab - The guide was giving them a sheet with campgrounds on it and warning them all to call for reservations today or they would be SOL. Recommended stuff at least 10 miles outside of town.
    I just came from there and all the BLM campgrounds were full and even lots of people out at the BLM dispersed sites.
  • Options
    lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    Remember ... it's also the 100th anniversary of the national parks this year and their objective is to get people out into the parks that wouldn't ordinarily come ... that will elevate attendance at most parks this year
    John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    While in the visitor center a lot of people here heading over to Moab - The guide was giving them a sheet with campgrounds on it and warning them all to call for reservations today or they would be SOL. Recommended stuff at least 10 miles outside of town.
    I just came from there and all the BLM campgrounds were full and even lots of people out at the BLM dispersed sites.
    lara9209 said:
    Remember ... it's also the 100th anniversary of the national parks this year and their objective is to get people out into the parks that wouldn't ordinarily come ... that will elevate attendance at most parks this year
    This is why I have reservations for the parks except for one where we will boondock in the forest.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I always manage to find a site - Haven't made a reservation yet. And never had to hit a Walmart yet :-)
    Of course ya gotta be flexible and be ok with boondocking.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I always manage to find a site - Haven't made a reservation yet. And never had to hit a Walmart yet :-)
    Of course ya gotta be flexible and be ok with boondocking.
    Boondocking in high elevation areas, need a/c in hot areas for the canine.

• Options
    PXLated,
    FYI, there's a number of forest sevice camp grounds just outside Yellowstone East Entrance. Our favorite opened up Saturday. Wapiti CG is about 20 miles from the Park entrance and one loop has electricity. 

• Options
    @PXLated also a number of boondocking spots outside of the north entrance. There are also a number of spots outside of the NE entrance in the Beartooth Mountains.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    The weather is just terrible here in the Capital Reef area - Need to flee feeling is setting in :-)
    Have a relatively nice BLM site - Checked the visitor's center and main campground today since it's raining and a total zoo. Place is packed with retired babyboomers. Sure they will be streaming into BLM late again today - in the rain.
    An aside - Another T@B was camped a100 yards from me but the weather was bad so was waiting till this morning to go greet but they must have fled in the early morning rain, no where to be seen :-(
  • Options
    Rare to get more than one day of bad weather in that area.

• Options
    Winds were way up there for two days and now rain for two.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Winds were way up there for two days and now rain for two.

Desert +wind = camera sensor nightmare.

• Options
    Sand, dust, cameras, lenses - Not a good combo.