Options

Unhooking or not unhooking?

I've read about making sure to unplug the 7-PIN connector when your engine is not running so you don't drain your battery. But, I'm curious -- has anyone left their T@B hooked up to the TV while in camp for the night (with 7-PIN unplugged)? Is there any harm sleeping in it while it's still hooked up? I would probably put the stabilizers down and chock the wheels for stability, but it sure would save having to re-hitch the T@B the next morning if you aren't going to be there long.
:-w
Beth, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Beth, if I am just staying for one night, I don't un-hitch, but I do disconnect the 7-pin connector. There's nothing wrong with it.

It wouldn't hurt to put the emergency brake on in your Forester.

Just make sure you go by your checklist in the morning so the stabilizers get put back up, the chocks get stored and the 7-pin plug gets attached. My SS sits too low to the ground to put the wheel on the front, so if I don't have to unhitch, it sure does save me time.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Beth, we have remained hitched for convenience, T@B to TV, that is. We use the levelers because it is more comfortable to be level when sleeping and cooking. We disconnect the 7-pin conn., also apply the emergency brake and put stabilizers down. Beth, have you purchased the "lego" type levelers yet. You will probably need more than 4. Do you have a level? We have a small one. And we are considering ordering the ones that Michigan Mike told us about recently on the forum.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Belva -- Yes, I have the "Lego-type" levelers. They are in the garage in a box, and I can't remember how many I have. I will check that out. I am thinking, too, of getting the bubble graduated levelers that were discussed previously on the forum.

Okay, so good to know I can stay "hitched" for short periods as long as I unplug the 7-PIN. You guys are the best, and I REALLY appreciate the information and support.

We had a beautiful day here, and T@BIN' Fever is heating up.

Beth, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    No kiddin, I've already done a "run thru" packing of the car. I want to see how the gear is going to ride in the car. I've been driving around for 2 days with my car packed like we are headed out on an adventure.
    Yesterday, I built a "cozy" for the new 5 cup coffee pot. (Like I don't have anything else to do in life)
    I need to have the Propane tank refilled. And install a propane gauge.
    Anything I need to keep in mind about refilling the P. tank? I'll have it done at the local rv dealer. I want to keep my new tank and have it filled.
    Ordered a GPS from Camping World. They gave me an additional discount that was not listed on the internet. I guess you have to ask for the lowest price. Ordered the Rand McNally. I wanted the Garmin, but the difference in price was too significant.
    Beth, glad you had a sunny day. My daffodils are blooming and beautiful.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    You ladies are making me extremely jealous. From where I sit in Michigan looking out my window, I see two feet of snow on the ground and temps this morning were almost 0 degrees. Maybe it's a good thing we don't take delivery of our new T@B until April 12. It will take that long for the snow to melt. But I do appreciate all the tips being shared!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Belva .... let us know how you like the Rand McNally GPS unit. Which Model did you settle on ? I never did pick one up as I too was waiting for the Garmin price to go down a little.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Just want to add a little tidbit here that I learned just today.  I had assumed that if you remove the fuse at the T@B's battery, or if you have installed a cutoff and disconnect the battery that you could leave the 7-pin plug hooked up to the TV.  But that is not the case.  The T@B still draws power from your TV's battery, EVEN IF YOUR T@B'S BATTERY HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED.  After thinking about it, I guess I should have known that, but thought I should pass it on in case others had the same mistaken idea.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Experience is always the best teacher  :D