Options

Insurance for having trailer moved by flatbed.

AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
edited April 2022 in Trailer & Towing
Has anyone had their trailer broken down and had to be hauled on a flatbed?
 What insurance company do you have and how was the service?

A friend of mine had an axle break, called his company, State Farm, waited over 6 hours.  The towing service cancelled the call and didn't tell the insurance they weren't going out.  State Farm did not follow up with the customer, and are not service friendly.
Allie
Condo A-Go-Go
2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
S. UTAH

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    AAA Plus RV showed up with a flat bed to take my Silver Shadow when I had a blown tire. Luckily, I convinced the AAA guy just to change my tire to a spare (I was sick and just wanted to make it the last 80 miles to home).  AAA called me on the phone a few times in the 45 minutes I waited to check on me. I will continue to sing the praiss of AAA Plus RV. 

I do have State Farm and Toyota has something, too. AAA is my go-to. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    As a Farmers Insurance agent in California I can tell you that towing coverage on your vehicle will not cover the t@b.  Be sure to purchase separate coverage for the camper. I have Foremost Insurance.

However, I do recommend high liability coverage on your car/suv/truck.  Should something happen and your vehicle cause damage to another then your auto liability insurance should cover it.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Like Verna, AAA+RV...Will bring two flatbeds if necessary.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have AAA (for the TV) The extended warranty roadside assistance through Jeep, Good Sams, and roadside through my insurance that covers both the TV and T@b (separate policies.) I have not needed them, as of yet. I feel a lot better towing the T@b with non-trailer tires, truthfully (I have the General Tire AT2 tires that are used on the Outback. These get a great ratings. Nothing can protect you from things like a nail, but quality tires plug good tire maintenance can make a difference.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    duncanmarladuncanmarla Member Posts: 12

Our TV blew and engine and needed a tow. I have GEICO on both TV and TAB with towing. I figured they would tow both TV and TAB, but they said they only tow the TAB if it was broken down, we were quoted $200 to have the TAB towed along with the TV. Luckily we were able to borrow a truck to get the TAB home.

We will be springing for the peace of mind of AAA Plus RV for our next road trip even with a brand new 3.6 Outback as a TV.

Lesson learned, be sure to read the small print on the towing provided by the insurance company (I should have known as I'm an insurance claims manger oops)

2016 Subie Outback V6. S Max. 
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I have a GEICO on both my TV and T@B like duncanmarla.  Good info to know.  I also have AAA for my car breakdown.  Thinking of adding the RV to it too.  AAA used to have my auto, houses and umbrella insurance.  When a new person took over my account and I bought a new house, he screwed everything up.  Had my car parking at my old address, the wrong mortgage company, wrong phone number, etc.  Then, the next year my total insurance bill for everything went up $500.  I went to GEICO and saved $700, $200 less than I had paid at AAA.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Just be aware, even with AAA+RV, there are some areas of the country that the coverage is no good. AAA is regional. If that region does not offer the "+RV" portion, if you are traveling in that area your AAA+RV is useless.

Good Sam is nationwide. Once my previous truck blew a radiator hose on a Sunday afternoon. Good Sam towed my truck to a repair shop, towed the T@B to a nearby campground where I stayed. The next morning, the repair shop contacted me, told me repair cost, then picked me up from the campground when the work was complete. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Is there a map showing AAA coverage?
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    PXLated said:
    I just did several Google searches and couldn't find one. Everytime I went to a AAA link, it made me put in a zip code, so then was routed to AAA Alabama. There is no such thing as AAA nationwide, there are several regional AAAs and they don't talk to each other.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    I just did several Google searches and couldn't find one. Everytime I went to a AAA link, it made me put in a zip code, so then was routed to AAA Alabama. There is no such thing as AAA nationwide, there are several regional AAAs and they don't talk to each other.
    This is why I ended up with Good Sams

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Have always had good luck with AAA - Have never gotten a good impression of GS - Maybe because the few times I've been in a CampingWorld they incessantly tried to get me to sign up. It was like they weren't going to sell me anything unless I signed up.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Have always had good luck with AAA - Have never gotten a good impression of GS - Maybe because the few times I've been in a CampingWorld they incessantly tried to get me to sign up. It was like they weren't going to sell me anything unless I signed up.
    I agree.  Just two weeks ago, I had friends lock their keys in their car in my driveway. AAA was there in 20 minutes as promised, plus one check up call  from their dispatch to make sure they were in a safe place. I always feel GS is out for money first.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Just be aware, even with AAA+RV, there are some areas of the country that the coverage is no good. AAA is regional. If that region does not offer the "+RV" portion, if you are traveling in that area your AAA+RV is useless.

Good Sam is nationwide. Once my previous truck blew a radiator hose on a Sunday afternoon. Good Sam towed my truck to a repair shop, towed the T@B to a nearby campground where I stayed. The next morning, the repair shop contacted me, told me repair cost, then picked me up from the campground when the work was complete. 
    jkjenn said:
    PXLated said:
    This is why I ended up with Good Sams
    FYI -- my older sister is in Canada (hopefully she will make it to Alaska). She has a 24' Winnebago View RV and the transmission went out. AAA paid for a tow truck to drive 50 miles to her and tow her back 50 miles to a repair business. She has the same AAA+RV coverage I have.  

And, because she was just past a curve in a dangerous position, she called 911 and the Royal Canadians Mounted Police are the ones who requested the AAA affiliated tow truck for her.  It was quick service, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN