Options

solar panel

Hi Everyone,
Just saw this post about a new solar panel out there. It seems too good to be true. 

Any electrical whiz kids out there who can give us the scoop on this 100 Watt and so much cheaper solar panel?
The Mouse house and me

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Hi, Ren -- I'm no whiz kid, but it seems as though it could be wired and installed.  I think owners on the LG forum have posted some info on other solar panels and how to rig them. Since I don't have the technical knowledge, nor do I enjoy figuring it all out OR taking it to someone who can install it, I'm thankful that the T@B has the capability already built into it to plug in a self-contained Zamp (which is a great product). 

I attended an RV show in January last year, and there was a dealer representative of Zamp Solar.  I got a discount from him on an 80W Zamp, and I think you can also buy a Zamp on E-bay.

:-/
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Rather than going into a ton of detail I can point you in the right direction Ren:

The above discussion does talk about the flexible panels and obviously they are much improved and worthy for mounting to the roof of a T@B.  The benefit is that these panels can provide charging when any ambient light is present, where as a portable panel needs to be set-up first.  That is a huge benefit and plus and allows the battery to be charged while in transit or even when a trailer is parked.   With the above "flexible" panel you will however need to have a solar charge controller installed between the panel and the battery to ensure that the battery is not over charged.  Look at a solar panel as a asic battery charger as that is all they do.....  The discussion has some links in it and should get you started and will give you the information you are looking for.

Good luck!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Thanks for the response. You are whizzy sounding to me. Ha. 
    Does our built in solar connection only works with the Zamp products or are we wired for ANY portable solar panel. Do the Zamp panels come with the charge controller inbetween or do we also need one of those with a zamp product. There is a fairly large price gap between the Zamp products and the go power or rengoy flexible panels. Why do the Zamp products cost so much more?  Would the flexible panels need to be permanently installed or could you use them as portable power?  I am trying to research these products but I am tech language impaired!
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Also there is a huge weight difference between the portable panels and the newer tech and weight is a real consideration in our little T@Bs. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Nah, I'm not whizzy but know just enough to be dangerous is all....   :))

To answer your questions above:

1.  Your solar connector on the trailer will work with any solar panel provided the panel has the 2-pin quick disconnect style end.  The end of the harness shown below will plug into the Zamp solar port on your trailer and you can buy these at most automotive stores and places like Walmart, Lowe's, etc.  You could easily splice another manufacturer's panel onto these leads and plug it into your trailers.  

2.  The Zamp panels DO come with a built in solar controllers on their portable panels as do the other portable units built by Renogy, etc.  

3.  Pricing is obviously up to the manufacturer or distributor of the panel.  But you are going to pay more for a good monocrystalline panel than some of the smaller, cheaper panels (e.g. from harbor Freight, etc.) out there.  i paid more for my Zamp but am happy with it as it has served my needs well, keeps my battery charged, it's portable and I keep it stored beneath my mattress in the under bed storage area.  It deploys easily and I have solar ports on both sides of my diamond plate tool box mounted on the front of my Silver Shadow.  You need to look around, read reviews on these panels, research the subject in depth and get a unit that best suits your needs and is within your budget.  I also believe that as time goes on you will see enhanced technologies and materials introduced in the market as they are similar to what you see in computers, new technology, smaller/thinner models, etc.  

4.  You should technically be able to use the flexible panels similarly as a portable or fixed unit but the issue here is the charge controller and how you connect it to the panel, run cable leads between the panel, solar charge controller and to the battery.  In my opinion a flexible panel would be best mounted permanently as it would allow you to gather ambient light whenever it's available.  It should be easy enough to permanently mount one of these to the top of a T@B unit as I know that Lisa mounted panels to the roof of her T@DA trailer and is very happy with her set-up.  

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Ok. So not quite yet ready to jump into the solarfest, but close. Looking at your first photo, Mike, I am not seeing how that connecterboobertredandblackcablethingy would in any way shape or form connect to the "zamp" port that is built into my tongue mounted battery. What am I not understanding? I get that the suitcase contains the panels, the controller and wiring to the battery with alligator clips, what is required, if not provided in the zamp suitcase to connect to the zamp port installed on the exterior of the battery casing (instead of alligator clips). I hope zamp will be at Atwood...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ok. So not quite yet ready to jump into the solarfest, but close. Looking at your first photo, Mike, I am not seeing how that connecterboobertredandblackcablethingy would in any way shape or form connect to the "zamp" port that is built into my tongue mounted battery. What am I not understanding? I get that the suitcase contains the panels, the controller and wiring to the battery with alligator clips, what is required, if not provided in the zamp suitcase to connect to the zamp port installed on the exterior of the battery casing (instead of alligator clips). I hope zamp will be at Atwood...

Sally,

If you have the Zamp panel you should have received the connectors shown below inside the storage suitcase.   the gray colored connector end is known as an Anderson connector.  You will also receive a set of alligator clips with an Anderson connector end that can be plugged in and used to charge batteries remotely too.  If this part was not included in the solar panel give Zamp a call and am sure they will send out what you need.  With the quick disconnect 2-pin connector and cable attached to the Zamp you end up with around 20' of cable that allows for great positioning and movement of the solar array to gain optimum sunlight.  

Attached Image
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Sally, if your panel is like mine, the alligator clips should just unplug from the cable to reveal the 2 pin plug!
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I don't' have panels yet ("not quite ready to jump into the solarfest") and I want to purchase exactly what I need (and not more) given that I already have a zamp port installed on the exterior of my battery (on the black case). Scuba, so by disconnecting the alligator clips from the provided harness that comes with the "zamp kit", the resulting connector is compatible with the port pre-installed on the battery casing? That is what I read, anyway... ;) please say yes.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    You will receive the quick disconnect cable with the Zamp panel.....  They have Anderson connectors that basically unplug and plug in together with the new panel.  Everything is interchangeable.  
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    I have that very setup.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    I really like the apparent simplicity of a plug and play portable collector like the Zamp for boondocking, but have read more than a few posts by RVers who have chosen more permanent solar collector installations because of concerns about theft.  I suppose that even the T@B is a tempting target if left unattended for long, but do any of you know of campers who have had their collectors stolen?  If you use a Zamp or equivalent, do you do anything special to protect or secure them?
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Hi, there -- I use a cable + padlock -- I think it's a Master Lock cable -- about 15 feet so I can move it around.  I loop it over the tongue of the T@B and through the legs of the Zamp.  I'm sure there is a way to steal it even with the cable + padlock, but it deters the casual thief. 

;)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    I've always wondered what a hail storm would do to a fixed panel.....  smilie
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Watch the video, Mike. :). Remember that solar panels are manufactured to last 25+ years mounted outside in all sorts of weather. http://renewableenergysolar.net/can-my-solar-panels-withstand-a-hail-storm/
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Wow, very impressive indeed!  I wonder if my Zamp would take a hit like that???