Options

12 vs (2) 6 volt batteries

Hi,
I am talking to my dealer about the battery they will be putting in my T@B when it arrives. I have been told by most old RV people that two 6 volt (golf cart type) batteries is better than one 12 volt. Something about discharge and charging. Apparently it is the dealer who buys and installs the battery for your T@B. They don't arrive with a battery. So I have asked my dealer about getting the two 6 volt batteries rather than installing the one larger battery. Any one have any experience with this issue?
Can't wait for T@Baby to come home with me,
ren
The Mouse house and me

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Rather then re-hashing this they did discuss it over in the Little Guy forum area.....  Two Battery Configuration

Here is some discussion from another group that people discuss the 6-volt systems:   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Thanks so much for the infomation. As I answered on another question, my dealer in San Diego does put in the battery, he spoke to the factory and they are putting in 2 battery cases so the dealer (little guy San Diego California, can't say enough about how great they have been) will install two 6 volt batteries for me when my trailer arrives. It is nice to know this is an option we can exercise if we ask from the factory.
    Thanks everyone for one less thing to have to do after getting my T@B home.
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    tabascotabasco Member Posts: 23

Re batteries, I believe gel cell batteries are a bit lighter than wet cell, but cost considerably more

two 6v golf cart batteries are better in terms of capacity, but be aware that two 6v combined weigh 140# as opposed to 50# for one 12v 27series deep cycle rv/marine battery!

all this extra weight is pretty close to the hitch and you should be aware of your total tongue weight. Hope that helps

T@Basco T@B and Subaru Forester Victoria B.C.

• Options
    Thanks tabasco, I am taking that into consideration. The factory will be able to install 2 battery cases inside the storage area on the tongue. I am not getting any propane so I have extra room in it.  My tow vehicle is an oldie but goodie with fabulous towing capacity so I am good to go!!  My dealer ( Little guy in San Diego ) has been fantastic so far. I hope to have my T@B by late August. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Plain and simply, the weight of your battery or batteries will be pretty close to proportional to the Amp hours of power produced. It is the weight of the lead that makes the battery heavy and the volume of lead that produces the chemical reaction to create the power. Yes, (for example) two Trojan T-105 6v batteries will weigh about twice as much as one group 27 12v battery (AGM or wet cell). However, they will also give you 225 amp hours of power vs. the approximately 100 from a group 27 12v. You are doing the right things by looking at your needs and the capacity of your tow vehicle. Remember to take weight distribution into account. If you add weight to the front of the trailer, you may need to shift weight to the back. My T@DA actually tows better with the extra battery up front. It was my opinion that the trailer was a little "tongue-light" before.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Thanks Lisa33. I am trying to hedge my bets, so to speak and get as much done by the factory and my dealer before my little boy comes off the assembly line and makes his way to California. I wouldn't have gotten a T@B without this forum. It is such a great place for T@B people to find out all the tips and traps you can expect from living with these little teardrop devils. I Can't wait to get mine.
    The Mouse house and me