Twin bed setup

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
We've used camp cots, Thermarest pads, and sleeping bags in our tent for years and have found this setup convenient if not terribly comfortable. I made some bench extensions for our T@B that will increase the bench width to 26", the width of our Thermarest pads and venerable sleeping bags. I am hoping this will let one or the other of us get up at night without disturbing the other (which would definitely happen if we had the whole bed made up.) There is still plenty of room in the center area to swing one's legs out and get up.

I used 3/4" PVC pipe because it is strong and easy to work with, and I could easily fit it around the converter, outlet, and CO detector. The top is just a scrap of thin MDF. I put strips of the soft side of Velcro strips on the bottom to keep from marring the floor. The passenger side has a similar extension.

With the bed made up:

I have the Lagun table centered on the sofa seat to use as a nightstand. I separated the two bench back cushions and they will just fit under the Lagun for night storage.

Has anyone else solved, or attempted to solve the problem of the benches being not quite wide enough for sleeping?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2016
    Photomom said:
    We've used camp cots, Thermarest pads, and sleeping bags in our tent for years and have found this setup convenient if not terribly comfortable. I made some bench extensions for our T@B that will increase the bench width to 26", the width of our Thermarest pads and venerable sleeping bags. I am hoping this will let one or the other of us get up at night without disturbing the other (which would definitely happen if we had the whole bed made up.) There is still plenty of room in the center area to swing one's legs out and get up.

I used 3/4" PVC pipe because it is strong and easy to work with, and I could easily fit it around the converter, outlet, and CO detector. The top is just a scrap of thin MDF. I put strips of the soft side of Velcro strips on the bottom to keep from marring the floor. The passenger side has a similar extension.

I have the Lagun table centered on the sofa seat to use as a nightstand. I separated the two bench back cushions and they will just fit under the Lagun for night storage.

Has anyone else solved, or attempted to solve the problem of the benches being not quite wide enough for sleeping?
    Ya know I was just sitting in my T@B thinking about a way to take a friend camping and the sleeping arrangements not be awkward...I must have seen a squirrel so I stopped thinking about it and had forgotten until I came across your post.  So thanks for posting & your mini cot's made from pvc is brilliant! 
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    When I was solo for a week last year (me and the dog, that is), I  used the bench with my torso at the couch end, using the bench mainly for my legs. This way the dog could have the whole floor area, which he doesn't when there are two humans using the whole bed.

This worked ok for me, my feet could hang over the end a bit (passenger side, I'm 6'2), but the bench-seat cushion's back-pad had to hang down into the dog's space in order to give me the extra room there.

Nice PVC work! How do you keep it from moving away from the bench?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ChanW said:
    When I was solo for a week last year (me and the dog, that is), I  used the bench with my torso at the couch end, using the bench mainly for my legs. This way the dog could have the whole floor area, which he doesn't when there are two humans using the whole bed.

This worked ok for me, my feet could hang over the end a bit (passenger side, I'm 6'2), but the bench-seat cushion's back-pad had to hang down into the dog's space in order to give me the extra room there.

Nice PVC work! How do you keep it from moving away from the bench?
    I wondered about height limitations, especially on the driver side.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited May 2016
    We tend to mostly sleep on our sides and having knees hanging over the edge is not comfortable. I am 5'8" and will take the driver's side. DH is 6'5" and will have the passenger side. I will make a similar extension for his feet if these work out this weekend, would need to fit it around the fire extinguisher. I haven't found a problem with them separating in brief testing. If this setup doesn't work we'll have the slats and can set up the whole bed. If necessary I can use Velcro to attach the pvc extension to the bench but that would be a last resort. 

I was thinking of taking an astrophysicist friend down to Cherry Springs later this summer and twin beds will work much better for us. She would never tent camp, but now that I have the T@B...
    Last weekend I put the bundle of slats on the passenger side floor and turned the bench cushion around so the back was hanging down but resting on the slats. Not really comfortable as I felt like I was slipping off the edge. 

A a woodworker could probably do something similar and it might be lighter. The key thing is to not block the appliances or the vent at the bottom of the bench. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    What if you used the slats and slept at an angle with legs and feet going towards middle? You would still not disturb each other but maximize your space.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited August 2021
    The problem with the whole bed is getting out of the sleeping bag and scootching down to the end where you could finally sit up. Also, you have to remove the Lagun table to use the slats, which is kind of a pain. 
  • jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I guess my wife and I are the only ones, that sleep with our heads down at the kitchen end.  We watch tv and read at the reading lamp end.  We use 2 thermarests and 2 travsaks and slide forward to get out to use the bathroom, without waking each other.  Over 10 weeks camping this way, we are happy campers with this arrangements.  Also, with the Lagun installed, custom table top and 1 slat, we now can put the 2 odd size side cushions, below where the table frame was located.
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    When one of my adult kids is along, we use the twin bed mode too.  I don't use anything to "widen" the bed, but it's only our legs on that portion.  My Dutchmen T@B doesn't have the raised back long narrow cabinet where the LG heating vents are located, so perhaps we have a little more length.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    I've been pondering this as well! I think your solution is brilliant. Here's the only other one I've seen. 
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2017
    Photomom said:

With the bed made up:

So, now it is winter.  Photomom, how did this setup work for you this year?  We are thinking of the twin bed setup and trying to decide what way to go.  I've seen some more semi permanent ways using wood...  Also, Did you glue the pvc or leave it so you can take it apart.  Lastly, I saw a post where you didn't like the Lagun table..  Still the case?  Here is a wood version.  My legs would have hinges to fold and remove all if needed..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Our setup worked very well. I did not glue the pvc - a few whacks with a mallet made the joints tight. We do not take them apart. They fit nicely behind the sofa with the rest of our bedding when not in use. 

I modified the pvc frame on the passenger side by attaching elastic (the kind you use in the waist of pajama pants) so we can tuck our shoes in there and keep them off the floor. That worked so well that this year I am thinking of replacing the elastic with mesh netting for better appearance. 

We have long legs and have found the benches to be narrow even for sitting. I think if we ever replaced the seat cushions I might get the new ones made a few inches wider and make permanent bench extensions like the wooden ones you posted. 

We have been using the Lagun table. It works because we sleep in twin beds, otherwise we'd have to remove it at night. We center it over the sofa seat and use it for a nightstand. 

Whatever you do, just make sure the converter, AC outlet, and propane detector are free and clear.
    Oh, btw, we do not take the bench back cushions or the odd shaped corner cushions with us when we go T@Bbing. The corner ones are completely useless and the seat back cushions are unnecessary since we just use a couple of cute small throw pillows when we want back support. The back cushions would have to be moved to the TV at night which would be a pain. 
    Have you considered thin curtain like material to hide the pvc, or is that not an issue?  It would just be for looks I guess.  The bench back cushions are another consideration of ours.  We would go with the twin bed setup because of the annoying bed takedown in the morning.  Also, I get up earlier and like to make coffee and read.  As I get older, I find reading lying down less comfortable.  I was interested in your attitude on the Lagun because I thought I read somewhere that after using it, you found it annoying and put it in the car.  I tried to find that post, but no luck.  My searching skills are hit and miss.  Also, my wife shares stuff from the facebook group and I can't tell if they are from here or there.  
      I've always tried to not make major structural changes, and even drilling holes I consider carefully first.  I did put the hinges in my cabinet doors and installed the on/off switch mentioned here somewhere.  
    Our camper is in storage just outside of town, but we've been making trips to measure things etc.  We made inside curtains, which we put on those spring tension rods.  Thus they are easily removed if needed.  I was going to measure the bench seat with the back cushion on, and see how much sleep room would there be with your extension.  

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

The Lagun table does grow on you. I am thinking of getting an outside mount though as I think we'd get more use of it out there (we have the awning and spend most of our time there.)

One thing I really hate when traveling is having the back of the SUV piled up with junk. So we try not to take anything that has to be put in there because there is no place else to put it. Like the back cushions. 
    Well, my wife kind of likes the wood version of the edge.  I'm thinking of a fold up leg and adding support on the back bench, like in the picture.  I would move the pictured leg more toward the front, as it wouldn't  be needed where it is pictured.  Finally, I have to come up with a way to attach it so that I can unclip the unit as needed easily.  I saw a pic somewhere of a better done wood piece, with a rounded front edge.  Can't find that anywhere.  Don't you hate seeing something here, and not finding it it later..  I know, bookmark...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    I saw that.  Very nice, but we were going for the front to back separated twin.  First, not sure i want to be climbed over in the middle of the night and also, not sure the width would be long enough for me...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

TerryV6 said:
    I saw that.  Very nice, but we were going for the front to back separated twin.  First, not sure i want to be climbed over in the middle of the night and also, not sure the width would be long enough for me...
    Those would be concerns for us as well. T@B width is barely enough for me, not DH. Best solution would be a double+ size bed with space on either side to get in and out but I recognize that's not a T@ B. 
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Nope, I'm thinking of a setup like photomom, only using wood.  I have a pic of a wood version earlier in the thread, only that looks a bit rough.  There would be two extensions, one for each side.  I saw another photo, perhaps on Facebook, showing a better made version.  That one had a rounded edge on the door end.  Then I'd have a leg that would hinge for storage sometimes.  Have to think of a way to fasten the unit to the side rails (not a permanent connection)...  currently we have the queen size setup, but we are seeing the advantages of changing to this.  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

"I saw another photo, perhaps on Facebook, showing a better made version."

Hey!
    Yup, found it there after wading thru pages and pages.  My wife emails me just a picture and I've no clue where it is from.  Funny thing.. she is
    sitting next to me over on the sofa.  Ahhh..  modern technology.  Have to say, I still like the pvc idea.. much lighter...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

I ran across these things on Amazon. I wonder if something like this could be used to create twin bed width extensions that could be folded down when not needed. These are rated for 100 lbs but perhaps something exists with a higher weight rating.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8XR4OW/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_t2_BM1Cyb42SH2ZM?th=1

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Photomom, if your bottom end (in skivvies) wasn't planted on it and it was just used for feet, I don't see why it wouldn't work as is!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2017

Search for "collapsible shelf bracket" or "folding shelf bracket" and you can find brackets that support up to 300 lb.
    Try searching by browser first to locate more sources and types then check Amazon. Read any 1 star reviews and beware the kiss of death (MIC).

I think collapsible brackets could work well for the twin bed extensions.
    Same concept could also be applied at end of the passenger side couch to accommodate someone tall suffering from dangling feet symptom.
    You wouldn't necessarily have to attach the wood slats to the brackets. Slats with screws or wood pins could be dropped into position when the brackets are deployed. Otherwise the slats are stowed while traveling.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    That's a cool idea...  And no legs...  
    So if you decided to go full bed configuration, or want visitors etc, you could remove and store..  I've had a number of firm ideas come and go.  Much like being at a restaurant and the waitress doesn't come right away.  My choice keeps changing..  My wife will say, what are having? The beef...  Waitress comes... Give me the chicken.  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2017
    Looks nice but read the 1 star reviews regarding MIC issues.
    Probably doesn't have to be well made for this application but still.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    Most of the ones there are too wide for my application. I would want the extension to be no wider than 6 inches to maintain the center walkway. I will research this more over the winter, we have at least 2.5 months before we spring our T@B from its icy prison.