Options

Xterra w/ Bike Rack

swei0009swei0009 Member Posts: 18
Howdy.  Has anyone used a standard SUV trunk-mount-style bike rack and still towed?  It looks like it will fit without interfering, but I'm open to learning from someone else's adventure.  Thanks

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    If you are meaning one that just straps to the back of a vehicle, I have never done it, but I don't see why you couldn't do it.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    edited May 2016
    Hi, we use a dual hitch and a standard Yakima 2-bike rack. The tongue jack was professionally moved back to accommodate the bikes when we tow our T@B. We have been using this set-up for over 2 years now, and it works very well for us.

Moderator Note: this post has been edited to reduce the size of the photo.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    swei0009swei0009 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks.  I've seen a couple posts like that.  Looks pretty slick.

We've had a Thule Gateway for years, mostly because I couldn't convince my wife that the hitch mounted rack was a good idea.  The Gateway is one of those semi-folding, attaches to the read door, sits on the bumper, kind of racks.  I can't really see any reason it shouldn't work.... Link to rack: http://amzn.to/24fVifG

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    We have a similar Thule for our other car (a sedan), but not for our TV so we have no direct experience with such rack when it comes to towing the T@B at the same time. I do wonder, however, how accessible would the hitch area  be when the bikes are on the rack of that kind.... 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA.