Clean the Fantastic Fan

AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
edited June 2022 in Tips & Tricks
How does one clean the Fantastic fan screen? Especially when on an extended trip

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    It pops out - There's a little dimple area to get it started as I recall - When trying, you'll think you're going to break it. At least I did.
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yup, it will pop right out.  When you do this dust will go flying everywhere.  I like to get ahead of that by cleaning it first with a shop vac.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    I tried to remove the cover/screen on mine and was certain I would break it. As an alternative, I just turned the fan on to a relatively high setting and then brushed the screen with a "fox tail" (or dustpan) brush. All the dust & stuff went right out!
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited June 2016
    It does feel/look like it will break but it does come out. If you can get it clean withou removal though, great.
  • JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    I'm so glad I came across this discussion. I was terrified that I would break my Fantastic Fan, but you gave me the confidence to pull that sucker off of there. Thank you!
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • jebelhafitjebelhafit Member Posts: 16
    I was also worried that I would break the screen when popping it out so I took a different route.  I removed four screws holding the fan in place as well as the two knobs for the cover lock and lift mechanism.  That allowed me to pop out the screen from the inside.  I then ground down the clip part of two tabs on each side of the finger lift section of the screen (see attached photos).  I left the other tabs in tact so the screen can be slipped into position then popped up. Finally I drilled two small pilot holes for screws to secure the screen.  Now the screen can easily be removed for cleaning at the request of my fastidious partner  :)
  • KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Another question answered before posted! YAY! Thanks! Go "Search" function on the t@b forum:)

2015 Tab S with Alde 
    Wow, how time flies... Sold our DM T@B some years ago, now have a small Roadtrek RV...  which, of course, has the same fan.

Love your idea of grinding the tabs down (which I already did, a bit) but adding the screws makes even more sense! The fan in our RV has exactly the same issue -- needs to be cleaned, yet it --still-- feels like it'll break before it comes out. Also, there are times those locking tabs will click-click-click against the fan, requiring some "precision adjustment" along with some well-thought-out four-letter words of encouragement...

Some screws are definitely on the way!

PS: still miss our little T@B....
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @irvingj - there was just a thread talking about shoring up the old DM floors and you had a unique way of doing it as I recall.  I know you are enjoying your Roadtrek in spite of missing the TaB!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    irvingj said:
    I tried to remove the cover/screen on mine and was certain I would break it. As an alternative, I just turned the fan on to a relatively high setting and then brushed the screen with a "fox tail" (or dustpan) brush. All the dust & stuff went right out!
    +1 for this...turn the fan on high speed in the exhaust position...brush or tap on the screen and the debris will fly away!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    ChrisFix said:
    irvingj said:
    +1 for this...turn the fan on high speed in the exhaust position...brush or tap on the screen and the debris will fly away!
    Just make sure you're downwind of your fully loaded picnic table!  :)
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    Copy that, kayaker, BTDT!

Haven't been on the forum in quite a while, but Sharon, you're one of the reasons I always enjoyed this forum - no politics, just nice folks. (Hope it's OK if I "stop in" once in a while.)

Yes, we've enjoyed the RT so far (but not this year), but I'll tell you - I used to do all my own vehicle repairs, but not on this Sprinter! Just amazing how complex and computer-controlled it is, but I guess it is cleaner....

We've been lucky so far, but a lot of folks have had some very expensive issues with their Sprinter-based campers. I don't think I'd buy another diesel one, as much as I like diesels.

Really, really miss the simplicity of our old DM T@B. I've been watching how current T@Bs have become... well, more convenient perhaps, but also more complex. Hope they still hold up as well --or better-- than the old ones.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @irvingj - you are always welcome to contribute here!  And you are right, things change and there is a real learning curve.  There are now 3 vintages of TaB 320s plus the 400 and the Avia.  We are all learning and trying to keep up!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I just watched the below video from RV Geeks.  It does a great job of showing how to remove the screen from the FanTastic fan and how to remove fan (from the roof exterior) for a thorough cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4JWUJvy_0s&t=21s
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Wow, great video! We no longer have our T@B, but our Roadtrek SS Agile uses the same fan, as I'm sure a lot of other RVs do, as well.

Many thanks for sharing this video -- I too am a bit anal (OK, a lot) about maintenance of electric devices, especially air-handling equipment. Chalk that up to 12 years in the HVAC industry. I've cleaned our fan a couple of times, but not as thoroughly as shown in this video.