Options

Cargo idea

OK all I have an idea not sure if it will work or not. I was thinking about mounting the item in the fist picture to the two bolts under my tab where the spare was meant to go. Then I would get the item in the link to extend it out and then buy what is in pic 3. Sorry all this might be confusing. I don't plan on hauling anything crazy heavy. Do you all think this would work. Well I can't get the link to work bits it's an 18 in hitch extender 

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No, it won't work. There are at least four of us on the Little Guy forum who have lost or damaged our bike racks and/or bikes by attaching them to the 2" receiver on the rear of our LG's.

What happens is a slingshot effect. The camper hits a bump, the cargo rack or bike rack goes downward, the camper is coming back up so it forces the item upward, it hits the top of its "orbit" and slams down. Yes, this happens even if the item is held tight with a hitch quieter. After time, the item fails and you lose your cargo/bike/bike rack. 

There are only two bike racks that are warrantied to be used on the rear of any camper that I am aware of. I'm sure your cargo rack is not warrantied by the manufacturer for this type of abuse. And this applies to any travel trailer type of camper. 

And, in addition to this, the Pleasant Valley factory does not recommend anything coming off of the rear of the T@B's. 

I still miss my pink Specialized bike that was damaged when the Swagman bike rack broke. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Aha! So it wasn't my imagination.

Are you saying, Verna, that there was a 2" receiver off the back of the Tab at some point in history?

I'd been wishing for one, but after reading the anecdotal stuff, I'm not wishing any longer. 

Too bad. Woulda looked cool, anyway.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ChanW said:
    Aha! So it wasn't my imagination.

Are you saying, Verna, that there was a 2" receiver off the back of the Tab at some point in history?

I'd been wishing for one, but after reading the anecdotal stuff, I'm not wishing any longer. 

Too bad. Woulda looked cool, anyway.
    No, not on the T@B. The smaller teardrops (except the T@B) may have a 2" receiver on them. My Silver Shadow had a 2" receiver. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I just removed the original spare tire mount from the back of my T@B. The bolts holding the mount to the body were not particularly confidence inspiring--I don't know how they are attached "up inside" but the mount had a bit of flex to it. It's probably ok for holding the spare tight to the body, but I'd be leery of anything that will put dynamic stress on those bolts. You might leave your carrier, receiver hitch, and half the floor of your trailer nicely intact in the middle of the road!
    2015 T@B S