Options

Towing Mirrors

I have a 2013 Subaru Forester and bought the universal towing mirrors (attached) from Camping World, which I've used once. I found that they vibrated a little and shifted positions, thereby slipping down. Without the mirrors, I can't see around the T@B, which bugs me.

I'm looking for a better mirror and am wondering what other T@B owners use.

Beth, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
:-?
Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I see that no one has commented on your post, so will give my two cents worth. I tried a couple of extended mirrors and never found anything that was much of an improvement. Although they increase the area you can see in the mirror, I found that I could not actually see any farther behind the trailer than my truck mirrors already showed. I have just accepted the fact when pulling the trailer I will not be able to see if someone is tailgating and will have to trust that they will pay attention to the new LED lights I installed.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    JC Whitney has mirrors that should work on your Forester. Read the reviews and look around via Google too as you do have a few options.

Check it out!

Temporary Door Mirrors

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    OK. After giving this some more thought, I have to revise my earlier comments. I suppose we tend to see things from our own perspective, and since I tow with a full sized pickup truck, I have no problem seeing the back corners of the T@B. If you are towing with a vehicle that is narrower that your trailer and your regular mirrors do not allow a view of at least the back corner of your trailer, YOU MOST DEFINITELY NEED EXTENDED MIRRORS, both for convenience and safety.

As a matter of fact, I have almost convinced myself to order the mirrors Mike suggested and give them a try. Most of the reviews I've read are positive, even from those with full-sized pickups. I did find them on Amazon.com for $39.00 and free shipping. (http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11650-Deluxe-Towing-Mirror/dp/B00029WRJQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) This is for one mirror, so order two if you want one on each side. As Mike suggested, be sure to read reviews so you will know what your are ordering and the problems that others encountered.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Good find Larry and a lot cheaper too! I'd be interested to know if they are worth the money and how well they perform..... Good luck!
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Good find, Mike. I'm going to take a closer look at them. Thank you so much! :)>-
  • Options
    OK. I ordered a couple of these. I will do a trial install when they arrive and give an update. It will probably be some time before I actually use them while pulling the T@B, but I will do an update on that experience as well when it happens. I'm trying to convince myself to make a run down to the Gulf Coast sometime in April. Not that far away from here. My arm is extended if anyone would like to give it a twist. :))

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Larry -- Consider BOTH arms twisted. I would hit the road with you if I didn't have to work.

Yes, definitely, let me know how the mirrors work. My only concern is that they might mess up the paint on the outside doors of my Forester. My next tow vehicle is going to be a used truck -- no worries about dings and dongs on it.
    :-h
  • Options
    Take some photos too Larry and post them up to the forum so we can see what they look like.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    A mini rally on the Gulf. Sounds like fun, Beth. I have been to the Gulf several times, although it has been a while, but I've always stayed in motels or condos. Camping will be a whole other, and I hope more enjoyable, experience. I'm hoping to find a stretch of beach somewhere that will allow my little four-legged buddy to enjoy it as well. I will definitely take some photos of the mirrors, and as I am rather particular about my paint as well, I will let you know my thoughts on that. I have already been thinking that I might try to put some kind of felt backing on anything that comes into contact with painted surfaces.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Well, the mirrors came today. I sort of tried them on in the garage, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much more they let you see. You can't read your license plate with them, but it is an improvement. :))

When the weather improves a bit more, I will put them on, hook up to the T@B and give a more realistic assessment, along with some pictures. As I mentioned earlier, my TV is a full-sized pickup, so if there is an improvement over OEM mirrors, there would have to be some on narrower vehicles.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    So no more backing into picnic tables at the campsite eh Larry? :D

Okay..... I confess, I actually caught the edge of one with my first Little Guy about 4 years ago. :\"> >:)
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I gave these mirrors their initial run to Gulf Shores last week.  They provide an excellent view of the rear corners of the T@B and allow you to see vehicles that are closer to you than you would otherwise be able to.  It does take some habit adjustment to remember which mirror to look into when passing, switching lanes, etc.  With the trailer unhitched, I nearly pulled into the path of a vehicle that I didn't see because I was looking into the wrong mirror.:-q

They take a little time to install and adjust, although the second time is easier.  They do vibrate a little, although not enough to prevent effective use.  They are a little unsightly as you have a strap that runs the entire height of the door.  I put extra padding between the straps and the door to prevent scratching/marring and I did not see any ill effects after 1,300 miles of use.  The straps tend to stretch a little, so you need to make tightening adjustments until they get stretched out.

So after further consideration, I have decided to order and try the mirrors below.  They are a custom fit for my truck, so they will look better and hopefully work as well.  We'll see.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

The new mirrors came today.  They work great, look good, and are very easy to install.  They look like they came installed from the factory.  They do vibrate just a little, but I believe any add-on mirrors will have some slight vibration.  It is not enough to make them unusable.  Best of all, there are no straps, bars, buckles, etc. to deal with.

Beth:  Unfortunately, I could not find these mirrors made for a Suburu.  They do come custom fit for Chevrolet, GMC, Toyota, Dodge, Ford trucks.  Hope you find something that works for you.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

Larry -- Thanks for the update.  I was encouraged by your "finding" of this new solution, but I am learning that Subaru doesn't favor modifications to their vehicles.  Additionally, Subaru doesn't manufacture a part that will boost my rear suspension, either.  Don't know why they are so protective. 

I'm not sure what I will end up with -- I'll keep searching.  The little rubber feet on the Camping World mirrors I have now tend to slide, and with repeated door opening/closing, they definitely don't stay in place. 

~X(
  • Options
    YoloYolo Member Posts: 6
    Larry, where did you order the custom fit mirrors from?  I have a Dodge Grand Caravan, so I'd like to see if I can get them too.  They look a lot better than the other ones.  Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Google is your friend! <:-P

• Options

I ordered mine from etrailer.com, where I've gotten many other things for the T@B.  I'm not sure they have ones that fit the Caravan, but here is a link to the page for the custom fit mirrors they have.  If the link doesn't work, just go to their site and type mirrors in their search, then go from there.

As Mike says, you can probably find others as well by searching around, but I find these guys usually have one of the largest selections.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?p=Q&lbc=etrailer&uid=538777391&ts=v2&w=mirrors&af=dep:customtowingmirrors&nf=&isort=score&method=and&view=grid

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I couldn't agree more Larry as I have ordered items from Etrailer.com and these people provide an outstanding service and ship out their products immediately.  I have been 100% satisfied with their shipping and customer service and even if it costs a few bucks extra, that is something I'm willing to do as their follow-up on all of it is exceptional.....  
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more Larry as I have ordered items from Etrailer.com and these people provide an outstanding service and ship out their products immediately.  I have been 100% satisfied with their shipping and customer service and even if it costs a few bucks extra, that is something I'm willing to do as their follow-up on all of it is exceptional.....  
    I second that emotion  :D
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    Thirded. Etrailer is excellent.
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options
    YoloYolo Member Posts: 6
    Thanx Larry.  I too have ordered things from etrailer and have been very pleased with everything.  I checked out the mirrors at etrailer and while they don't have a "custom fit" mirror for my Caravan, the ones they do have appear to be better than some of the others I've seen.  I'll likely give them a try.  Thanx again.