Options

Outback Towing Verses S-Model

With the extra height and weight of the Outback  model  does anyone feel it's a more difficult unit to tow? I can get a pretty good deal on a Outback but I think it's close to 9ft tall? Seems like on fuel and wind resistance that extra height and weight would make it more difficult to tow? My vehicle has a tow package and 5,000 pound recemendation. My garage is 7ft 9 inches due to decorative trim so I will need to purchase a outside storage unit either way. 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Can't imagine it would make any difference at all. At least not any one would notice.
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    We have a Toyota Tacoma with a 6000 lb tow rating.  We originally towed a 6 wide Silver Shadow with it and have since upsized to an Outback T@B.  I know that it is not exactly the comparison that you were looking for but we have found that our gas mileage while towing the T@B is the same as towing the SS despite the higher profile and added weight.  As a matter of fact, the T@B has been easier to tow, because it is not as wide as the SS so it follows along perfectly behind the truck. 
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    Thanks for the follow up. I hope to make a decision soon 
  • Options
    Jellybones11Jellybones11 Member Posts: 27
    I have no real issues towing the Outback. I have the Max S Outback and I tow it with a 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser. The only problem is that it likes to fishtale at higher speeds or sometimes in windy conditions. Anybody have a fix for this? (Other than slowing down to 45mph?)
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,597
    @Jellybones11
    Sounds like you are having classic trailer sway.

You should confirm your T@B tongue weight is in the correct range.
    And you might consider adding an anti-sway bar between the FJ and the T@B.  There are many types / price point options for sway bars.

While having a sway bar never hurts, posting here suggest the need for one varies widely with different tow vehicle - trailer combinations.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    I have no real issues towing the Outback. I have the Max S Outback and I tow it with a 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser. The only problem is that it likes to fishtale at higher speeds or sometimes in windy conditions. Anybody have a fix for this? (Other than slowing down to 45mph?)

Confirm your ball height is correct for an Outback
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    We have a 2017 Outback, towing with a 2014 Grand Caravan and have no problems unless we go above 65, and then a little sway, but we keep it between 60 and 65. We don't have any special towing equipment, other than a brake controller, and our Grand Caravan is rated for towing 3500 lbs.

Gail & John 

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    The Outback is more prone to sway, due to the heavy spare tire being mounted behind the rear axle, which decreases the tongue weight. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    No sway whil towing my Outback either with my JKU or my Jeep GC.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I tow with a Jeep JKU and have no problems towing it or experiencing sway.  If you have sway issues, you probably need to check your tongue weight.  It should be between 10-15% of the total trailer weight.  If you have sway, you are probably below 10%.  Just shift weight from the rear of the trailer towards the front (in front of the wheels) and/or add some weight to the tongue.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    I have a 5g scepter style extra fuel (full), additional box for carrying extras (chocks, ladder for hoses) the fuel weighS approx 35# (7lbs p/gx5gal =35). Dealer adjusted tow ball/hitch so outside of sway bar not sure what else to check . my normal speeds are between 60-70. The bad sway was when I was at 63 and met a groove in road surface. It was one of those grooves that a flat tire/rims cause in the road surface. I was wondering if I changed out tires or reduced psi, might give me more traction while towing. 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,597
     . . . or reduced psi, might give me more traction while towing. 

Don't reduce tire pressure.  Make sure Tow Vehicle (TV) and T@B tire pressure are at recommended level or above without exceeding the tire maximum pressure rating (marked on sidewall).

Why?  Tire can carry more load at higher pressure levels.  TV rating for GVW and CGVW are based on tires at recommended pressure.  While camping most likely your TV is at or very near it's rated GVW, same for your T@B.

Note:  While increasing tire pressure increases the tire load carrying ability you must still keep the TV and T@B maximum load at or below their rating GVW.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Thank you. Great advice. :)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Jellybones11 Just curious-have you ever weighed the tongue or are you estimating? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if we had any swaying going on, I'd probably do that-being a person who waits for the problem to happen and only then Explore causes. :-)
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Twojgrams No, I have not and am not sure how to do that. I was just saying the weight I have on the front is what I carry on the utility platform. I would like to be more pro active in making my adventures safer and more fun!

• Options
    cotracyecotracye Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2008 T@B and tow it with a 2004 BMW x3 with no issues. Towed it all the way from Colorado to Northern California and back. 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner