Options

Before & After - Removing Stickers

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
Some people have elected to remove the large T@B emblems that were used before PV began installing the smaller 3D ones.  I had removed mine but left the ring and placed stickers in it.  (Still have the one on back that way.)

I am anticipating having a front window installed at Tearstock, so I decided to remove the black ring and stickers on front.  As has been mentioned before, this is fairly simple by heating the emblems, either by the sun or with a hair dryer, and peeling them off.  Some use the edge of a credit card, but I used a PLASTIC trowel to start the edge peeling, then used my fingernail.

You will find, of course, that the longer the emblem has been on, the more of a "ghost" will appear.  I don't know of a way to completely exorcise the ghost without stripping the paint, but this is the process I used.  I took a rag made from an old towel, saturated it with Goo-Gone and rubbed the outlined edges.  I had to repeat this process a couple of times to get the "goo" to disappear.  Next, I washed the surface to get rid of any remaining Goo-Gone.  I then used my electric buffer to apply Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0, being careful not to over-buff and ruin the clear coat.  I then applied paste Turtle Wax by hand.

There is still a faint ghost of the old emblems, but it is not too apparent unless you look real close.  Here are Before & After pictures.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Larry, Nice job, those ghosts will haunt 'ya!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I know who to go to when my T@B needs a good wax job!  Looks like new, Larry!  Great job
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Verna said:
    I know who to go to when my T@B needs a good wax job!  Looks like new, Larry!  Great job
    I'm gonna sneak in behind ya. Cyclonic didn't notice the last time when he washed his! :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Lots of sweat equity in a wax job these days.  Has to be done early in the day.  BTW, I'm just assuming they will install the window since I filled out a request form on line and haven't heard anything from them.  I wonder if they send a bill before, or just settle after the job is done.  I have heard that some models can't have the window installed.  Hope mine isn't one of them.  Plus, there is the possibility that my Mom will have surgery scheduled during that time and I may not get to attend at all.  In that case, I may have to find an excuse to camp my way to the factory.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Well, crud.  As I suspected, Marvin says that a front window cannot be installed in my T@B.  He said that T@Bs that are not prepped (framed) for the front window at the factory have an aluminum "rafter" every eight inches.  Jeez, I should be able to jump up and down on the top if it is that well fortified.  At any rate, I now have a blank canvas in front that I can put whatever I want on.  How about I get a picture of a window on a decal and stick it on?  I just won't be able to see through it.  Does anyone have a pair of X-Ray glasses?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZ, I know this probably won't work, but have you thought of a circular window? I know the side of the camper is flat and so is the door, but it doesn't take up much room and the place where the big window usually goes is relatively flat. It gives great light, but can't be opened. It was just a thought!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    RZ, I know this probably won't work, but have you thought of a circular window? I know the side of the camper is flat and so is the door, but it doesn't take up much room and the place where the big window usually goes is relatively flat. It gives great light, but can't be opened. It was just a thought!
    I like the idea.  As a matter of fact, I had already looked at some porthole windows, but haven't yet found one I thought would work.  I even found one guy who had used Plexiglas in a similar application.  He heated it to bend it to shape, then caulked it in without a frame.  Not sure I'm that desperate yet, but I'll figure out something...or just leave it like it is.  I'm not as concerned about the light as I am the ability to see out front if the need arises, since that is where the truck is usually parked.  I may even look at some kind of remote camera.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    BTW, RZ, I used goo-gone to get rid of the T@Bitha Signature Series name sticker because it just had "Mary Jane Butters" visible under the Yakima rack I installed for the spare. Never stop trying to get the residual glue off when you start at one end of a series of stickers and then go to the other. At one point, I was about to call it quits because it's a lot of elbow grease! Except, um, all I had left of the residual glue was the first 4 letters of her last name and I didn't want dirt to make that ghost appear on the tail end of mah T@B! I worked until I needed a headlamp to finish. LOL.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Hey Larry, how about one of those windows that they put on the front of the Silver Shadows? You have room for one of those?
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Hey Larry, how about one of those windows that they put on the front of the Silver Shadows? You have room for one of those?
    You mean the stargazer window?  I thought of one of those, but it wouldn't fit crosswise because of the frame, and I believe it would be too long (tall) to fit on its end, plus the curve would then be wrong.  I guess you could install a peephole, but it would be kinda awkward bending over to look into.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    I think you should get a big decal of a window with you and Booger looking out! Keep the zombies away.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Good one! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    RZRBUG, I'm so sorry that you can't get your window, and that you went to all that trouble and removed your cool Route 66 decals. It does have a nice, clean look though. It might just grow on you. 

We removed our rear decal because it was getting brittle and starting to peal. We thought it best to do it as soon as possible so on a warm March day we went to work. The removal went well, using a hair dryer. The residual glue is easily removed with vegetable oil. I did this before on my Little Guy 5 wide with great results. I'm one of the people who likes Little Guy's slogan and was careful to keep that on the trailer. All was well until we had a late season ice storm. At first I thought it was vandals with a weird sense of humour, but soon realized that some of the vegetable oil must not have been fully rinsed off. This was the result. 

Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    I'm sorry, Mia, but I laughed out loud when I saw that.  Thanks, I needed that.  Vegetable oil?  Who woulda thunk it?  Have to keep it in mind for future reference.

BTW, my Mom's surgery has been scheduled for July 6th.  That was the day I had planned to leave for Michigan, on my way to Ohio.  Not sure how things will go, but hope to still make it to Tearstock.  If not, maybe we'll see you next year.  Gotta see pictures of that new grandbaby.

I think you should get a big decal of a window with you and Booger looking out! Keep the zombies away.
    Funny.  I have thought of putting his picture on the T@B, but he's too much of a pussycat to keep Zombies away.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I'm glad you laughed, Larry. Once I got over the shock, I thought it was funny, too. 

Doug and I both hope that you can still make it to Tearstock, and that your mom's surgery goes well. It is a hard thing, taking care of our parents. 
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Larry- sending good thoughts for your mom and you, my friend. 
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Very thoughtful of you, David.  Thanks!

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    DougandMia, how long did it take for your sticker to become fragile? Did you have a cover on the T@B? We are ordering this week and I want the sticker but my dealer said they get kind of ratty. Just not sure how long. Thanks.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @ColleenD2 I peeled my dealer sticker off this spring after one year. It basically disintegrated as I peeled it off. All the others are still fine.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @ColleenD2, out 2017 sofitel, delivered in May 2016, started losing letters on the back in about 10 months, even though it was under a cover the final 4 months of that time period. However, we did a lot of the desert southwest for 6 weeks in July and August and the covered portion was through a Michigan winter. Those extremes may have contributed to the stickers early demise. We just used the opportunity to add our own graphics and saying.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    @ColleenD2, Our trailer is a 2015, and had the giant T@B on the back. We took it off as soon as weather permitted after we bought it and put on one of the nifty little T@B logos that they use now. It was already starting to disintegrate when we bought it as it had been sitting on the factory lot for a number of months. There is nothing big like that on the new models, so you do not have to worry.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @DougandMia, missed you.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    @DougandMia but I WANT it! Lol I was going to ask them to install it. There are a few hanging around the factory still and I really love it.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    @ColleenD2  Of course if you want it go for it! 🙂 Perhaps you could speak to a car dealership to find out what they do with their decals to keep them looking good for years.