Options

Camping Hair - Inverter or other ideas - Advice needed

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
So, my handy little 12v hair dryer died. Truthfully, it barely got the job, done. They get terrible reviews for a reason. I have short hair that requires a little styling with a hair dryer to get it to look decent. Do I buy another 12v hair dryer, knowing it will die? Do I bite the bullet and get an inverter and use with the car running and use my regular hair dryer? Any other tips for short hair? It looks really bad if I don't do something with it - wash and go doesn't work.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Go a la natural! I've never used a hair dryer while camping. Um, about the "a la natural", careful of the rangers and such. They prefer you wear clothes (don't ask me how I know! :blush::wink:)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I don't mind doing that when it is just me and Rocky, but prefer to look presentable when in town. For now, a baseball cap is the solution.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    dry shampoo!....or a bandana   B)
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    So glad to be a bald guy - All I need is a buffing towel.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Would have to be a big inverter - some hair dryers use as much as 1800 watts on high. That's 15 amps.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    dry shampoo!....or a bandana   B)
    Dry shampoo only works for a day or two.

Photomom said:
    Would have to be a big inverter - some hair dryers use as much as 1800 watts on high. That's 15 amps.
    Yup. My 12v drew 14 amps. I only used in the car with it running.

• Options
    That is only 168 watts, no wonder it didn't dry well!
  • Options
    I'd get a nice sun hat.
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    That is only 168 watts, no wonder it didn't dry well!
    It was better than nothing.
    Photomom said:
    I'd get a nice sun hat.
    I have a very long head and have a hard time getting hats to fit well. 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jenn, I quit using a hair dryer when I hit AZ in January because of all of my dry camping and I haven't went back to using the hair dryer since I got home. My hair actually looks better if I don't dry it because it gets a "wave thing" going on the back ;) (yeah I can just see all you guys looking for the wave thing!).

Anyway, you might want to use a leave in conditioner that is a runny liquid consistency and will help manage your hair. I use Infusium Leave In conditioner (and have used it for about 40 years). Walmart has it, some CVS, and some grocery stores, and Amazon has it also.  Since I have not used any other brand for so long, I'm not sure if you can get a similar product in a different name brand. (Hair stylists do like the quality of the Infusium products, so it not a bad product to use. I do use their shampoo also.)

As far as hats, I use a floppy expedition style hat that has the rear neck cover that tucks into the band inside the hat when not needed. It has an adjustable band and also has a chin strap ( just like paracord) for those super windy days. 

I hope this gives you another choice of something that has worked for me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks, @Verna! My hair has 2 modes...straight and straighter, but it doesn't lay on a flattering way and your conditioner is worth a try. I might also hunt for some velcro rollers. I had some years ago and they provided some body for my thick, fine, straight hair.

• Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    Just don't do what I did once. My hair was still wet and in the Velcro rollers, but who would notice in the car? I forgot all about the rollers, and when we got to our first stop I gathered my things, got out of the car, and caught sight of myself in the side window. Yup, I had a head full of rollers. Lovely.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Jenn - I can relate. My hair does not feel good (nor look good) if I don't blow dry it. Of course now that I'm on the road constantly I have to revert to a hat (especially since I hike almost every day) - but then once it's on, it doesn't come off - terrible "hat hair". So once in a while I'm camping where there's a bathroom and I take full advantage of an electrical plug. I have the 12v dryer but it hardly does diddly --- so out comes my regular hair dryer and I give myself a treat. If I was just camping for a weekend I wouldn't bother but being full time, I don't care what folks think when they see a woman blow drying her hair in a campsite - I deserve this treat from time to time. So I say, just get a regular small dryer and pull it out when a 110 outlet is available :)

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Roadie_ORoadie_O Member Posts: 40
    It sounds like a new 12v dryer is the best option. Barely working is better than nothing. How long did the last one work before it gave up? 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I got rid of the blow dryer 15 years ago. I keep a curly perm in my hair. Shower at night, go to bed wet, run a brush through my hair in the morning. That's it.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    I got rid of the blow dryer 15 years ago. I keep a curly perm in my hair. Shower at night, go to bed wet, run a brush through my hair in the morning. That's it.
    I had perms all through Jr - Sr high school....every three months.

Jenn - I can relate. My hair does not feel good (nor look good) if I don't blow dry it. Of course now that I'm on the road constantly I have to revert to a hat (especially since I hike almost every day) - but then once it's on, it doesn't come off - terrible "hat hair". So once in a while I'm camping where there's a bathroom and I take full advantage of an electrical plug. I have the 12v dryer but it hardly does diddly --- so out comes my regular hair dryer and I give myself a treat. If I was just camping for a weekend I wouldn't bother but being full time, I don't care what folks think when they see a woman blow drying her hair in a campsite - I deserve this treat from time to time. So I say, just get a regular small dryer and pull it out when a 110 outlet is available :)

Thanks. It makes you feel a little more normal to not where a hat every day. I generally wear one every other day, as it is.

Roadie_O said:
    It sounds like a new 12v dryer is the best option. Barely working is better than nothing. How long did the last one work before it gave up? 
    I have had it a couple of years but it didn't get real regular use until recently. I might take it apart as I think it might be the switch that is bad.

• Options
    Roadie_ORoadie_O Member Posts: 40
    Good luck, I hope you get it working! I looked at them on Amazon, and at least it isn't costly to replace if needed.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    And then there's always a new style of hair cut. Ask for a pixie haircut. By being short all over, it gives your hair more body. If you don't like it, it will grow out again. Those with straight hair wish they had curly hair; those with curly hair wish they had straight hair ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    edited June 2016
    Verna said:
     Those with straight hair wish they had curly hair; those with curly hair wish they had straight hair ;)

You got that right Verna! We women always want the opposite!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    I have the same hair issue...straight and flat, or worse, without fixing with a hair dryer. Definatelty not able to go out in public with 'morning' hair!  I do use the velcro rollers in my every day routine at home..with a hair dryer to speed up the process. When staying in our T@b I don't generally have a hair dryer...so it just takes a little longer to dry...but still works pretty good for days when I prefer to look presentable. I have also just used a small spray bottle to dampen clean 'morning hair', and then use the rollers...less dry time. A small fan, or the roof vent fan helps if you have a little power. So envious of those of you that can pull off a natural 'wash and go'...or a simple messy bun and look all pulled together!
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    rkhammond said:
    I have the same hair issue...straight and flat, or worse, without fixing with a hair dryer. Definatelty not able to go out in public with 'morning' hair!  I do use the velcro rollers in my every day routine at home..with a hair dryer to speed up the process. When staying in our T@b I don't generally have a hair dryer...so it just takes a little longer to dry...but still works pretty good for days when I prefer to look presentable. I have also just used a small spray bottle to dampen clean 'morning hair', and then use the rollers...less dry time. A small fan, or the roof vent fan helps if you have a little power. So envious of those of you that can pull off a natural 'wash and go'...or a simple messy bun and look all pulled together!
    Thanks. In the SW, my hair dries quite quickly, so I am not too worried about the speed of drying. If you met me, you would know, I am not one who fussed endlessly with her hair, it just look horrible if I don't at least blow it out.Verna said:
    And then there's always a new style of hair cut. Ask for a pixie haircut. By being short all over, it gives your hair more body. If you don't like it, it will grow out again. Those with straight hair wish they had curly hair; those with curly hair wish they had straight hair 
    My hair is barely longer get than that, now. A couple of haircuts ago, my stylist and I got to gabbing and he went way too short. I have decided to not get another haircut until it's time to leave for vacation to give it a chance to grow out, and even then, I will ask the stylist to just shape it up and trim the bangs.

I think I will have to make a trip to a drug store. I will be amazed if I find velcro rollers here in town. I might have to take a Walmart trip this weekend.

• Options
    Trust me, I have never been one to spend much time with my hair. My two sisters are the girly girls and I'm my Daddy's TomBoy. Simple is great. 

I have found that that the hair terminology is a bit different in the Southwest, so it's best to just describe what you want, without using a typical haircut style's name.  I received a super short cut from an inexperienced hairdresser in Yuma because she thought my cowlick would go away if she kept cutting away. Luckily she asked someone else when I mentioned she might be cutting too much off. The ball cap came out for a week or so before it grew out some!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I know those 12v hair dryers are bleh, but you are in a fairly dry heat, right? Have you considered a battery operated fan like the O2 one? They have little ones.. that or one of those USB fans. It was just a passing redneck hairdryer thought!! LOL. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    I know those 12v hair dryers are bleh, but you are in a fairly dry heat, right? Have you considered a battery operated fan like the O2 one? They have little ones.. that or one of those USB fans. It was just a passing redneck hairdryer thought!! LOL. 
    Or the max a/c setting in the TV, but yes that has occurred to me.... 

• Options
    Well, I was thinking Redneck Boondocking solution. The Redneck "w00h00-we-have-electric!" solution is the AC on max. :lol:
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @PXLated, not even a little Turtle Wax or Meguires?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    @PXLated, not even a little Turtle Wax or Meguires?
    ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Score! Velcro rollers found at Family Follar

I knew this thread would draw a little humor...or, as Mr. Bennett would say, "...For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn..."

• Options
    Something to think about if you do end up getting inverter - hot air curling irons draw much less current than regular hair dryers.. You might get away with a 600 watt inverter instead of 2000.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Nope - Don't want to blind anyone with the glare.