Options

Clothes washing idea

TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
i saw this while news watching and having first cup of java...  I know T@b camping is all about being minimalistic and items start to pile up for our travels, but this is kind of a neat idea and not too pricey... A non electric washing machine...  ( Drumi)  You also get foot and leg exercise... Grin.  Our camping experiences are still of the travel time limit where we have a laundry bag which we fill up and wash at the end of our trip...

https://youtu.be/SUgF24GcDi0
Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Pretty clever stuff!  I'm just not sure something like that would be viable for my needs as I tend to collect dirty clothes in a mesh bag while traveling and it's much easier to stop at a laundromat along the trailer and get it all doe in one setting while accomplishing a few other chores.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We traveled to Italy for 10 days with two small carry on bags a couple summers ago. We took clothes that would dry fast and did a bit of hand washing every 2 or 3 days. We expect to do the same when T@Bbing for extended trips.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Pretty cool device, but for me it is much easier to use campground laundry facilities, I just carry a few of those detergent pods and some dryer sheets.  No fuss and an easy afternoon task once a week.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    I always liked the solution the author of "Travels with Charley" (should be required reading, here) came up with. A drum of soapy water and the bumpy backroads of America...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I use the Scruba bag. It is, essentially, a dry bag, with nibbles inside that act like a washboard. Very small footprint and effective. I used it to pre-wash very muddy pants before going to the laundromat yesterday and from time ever to time until I can get to a laundromat. When water is available it comes in handy but when boondocking, I try to wait for the laundromat. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm a wait for a laundromat guy - Alot (most) have free wifi so I can kill two birds with one stone.
  • Options
    Roadie_ORoadie_O Member Posts: 40
    @jkjenn, I have that laundry bag in my Amazon cart. I am glad to read your review on it cuz I was hesitant on the price tag. I did buy a small plastic washboard, reviews said it was about the size of a computer keyboard, that I'm hoping will do the trick for undies, socks, and tshirts on long trips.
  • Options
    DptritDptrit Member Posts: 18
    Stick to nylon and fast drying clothes. Only two dark colors that are mix and match. For me gray and blue. I have done 17 day trip with 2 shorts, 2 shirts, 2 slacks and 2 briefs. Wear one when washing/drying the other. Did 21 days with just a little more but it was in very humid Asia and clothes did not dry, had to go to laundry mat. 
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I backed the Drumi on kickstarter years ago... they finally refunded everyone's money a couple of months back in full because it was taking so long.  I still think it's a great idea - very few of the non-electric washers have a spin cycle which is so key to getting clothes to dry fast.  

Yirego look to be still developing the Drumi and waiting to put out a quality product, which I guess I certainly approve of even if the wait turned out to be disappointing.  I hope it hits the market one day, there's nothing else that looks decent in that space out there (I have a Scrubba - which is great - but I don't consider it to be in the same type of clothes washing category as the Drumi!)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017