Options

Norcold & ARB: Is It Too Much?

I have a Norcold two-way refrigerator in my trailer.  I recently purchased an ARB refrigerator/freezer as a supplement so that I have lots of cold storage, thus eliminating the need to carry a cooler and buy ice.  When I am travelling between campsites, I had planned to run both simultaneously.  They would, of course, be running off the trailer’s on-board battery that is being charged by the tow vehicle.

Questions:  Would running both at the same time be too much of a strain on the trailer battery?  Would this be too much for the tow vehicle to keep up with?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I have my ARB plugged into my tow vehicle while traveling and into the trailer when in camp. The Norcold, of course, is always running on the trailer battery. Will you have electric hookups at your campsites?
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I usually camp at sites with electricity, unless I get caught where I can't.  Will eventually install solar, but not yet. 

I will be running the Norcold while towing, which will be running off the T@B battery, which will be charging from the tow vehicle (normal stuff).  BUT, I have installed a plug on the battery/LP cover that is connected to the T@B battery as well.  The ARB will be in the back of the truck with a cord running from it to the new plug.  So, both will be running off the T@B battery while towing.  That was my concern; whether there might be adverse effects doing that.  Since the ARB is in the back of the truck, it is not quite possible to plug it directly into the tow vehicle, without running some extra wiring, which I was hoping to avoid.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited August 2014
    You'll be fine if you regularly have electricity while at your campsites. The two of them total roughly 3.5 amps, which is less than if you were running the Norcold and the fan (for example). I don't know the specs of your battery, but if it's about 75 amp hours, then your battery could handle the two refrigerators for more than 10 hours without any charge before hitting the 50% discharge point. Assuming you have a charge line running from your tow vehicle, you'll be charging anyway. I think you're good to go. :). Lisa
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Well, I thought so, but was looking for some reassurance I guess.  The trip to Tearstock will confirm one way or the other.  Thanks.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map