Options

Tire wear

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
edited July 2018 in Trailer & Towing
How many miles did you get on the original tires? These tires have a little over 5000 miles over 18 months on our 2015 T@B. I adjusted the air pressure to slow wear with little or know effect. There are also cracks all along the tread      Valleys. These are no name tires that came on the trailer.  Original trailer tires are notorious for being bad. I had hoped these would be different. Wheel alignment  appears to be within spec. I had similar wear problems on a boat trailer. I replaced them with Goodyear   Marathon tires which lasted for years and thousands of miles.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I replaced mine at 16 months and 9,000 miles.  Although they didn't show this much wear, I could tell it was just a matter of time, so I replaced with a set of radials.  Had them balanced before putting on trailer.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Your's look good compared to what mine looked like. Just accept the stock tires are not the best and buy you a good set and be sure to balance them. There's other discussions about tires here. Do a search on Carlisle and you'll find two or three discussions.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Your's look good compared to what mine looked like...  
    I can vouch for that.  Was relieved to read that you had new ones after I got home.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I'm still a bit embarrased that I didn't notice it first. Thanks again, Larry. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've got somewhere in the 9-12,000 on mine and they still look fairly good. Pretty even wear. Tire guy thought I could get another 3-4,000 out of them.
    Yours look like both out of balance and out of alignment from what I can see.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Like PXL said. 

Ours looked a bit like yours, but not so extreme.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    There is no way to align the trailer frame or torsion axle, no toe-in or toe-out. This is per the Utility Trailer business in Yuma, AZ. The uneven wear is caused by the tires, according to him.  He's been selling , repairing and servicing trailers for over 30 years and I felt he knew what he was talking about. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I now have 13,428 miles on my Maxxis M8008 radials which I put on in April last year.  Didn't realize I had that many miles on them.  Guess I'd better go have a look.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Verna - My trailer guy says there are very few trailers where the axel is "perfectly" aligned square with the frame. So there ya go, battling experts as with most things here :-)
  • Options
    No battle at all.  Squaring the axle with the frame is a different thing than changing the track of the tires (toe-in/toe-out), which can't be done on these trailers.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Has somewhat the same effect on the tires though - correct?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Over my head. I just repeated what the guy told me and Larry just verified what I was told. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - In rereading your comment, it seems he/you are referring two two things at once - squaring the axel to the frame and a tire alignment mechanism like on cars. The first is the same as my guy is saying - most aren't exactly squared, therefore uneven tire wear.
    Larry just verified what we both said :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Over my head ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
     PXLated said:
    Could, except in different circumstances you could have wear both inside, both outside, or one of each.  An axle not squared with with the frame should show wear on the same side of both tires.  I think that's right.  :)

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    That's my experience but on mine (one outside, one inside) it's so slight that it's not worth having the tires remounted.
  • Options
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Verna - Doubt that :-)
    If it has grease and oil on it...there's a mechanic who can do it, not me ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - hopefully you don't have grease or oil on your tires or the bolts on your axel connection.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ok guys, here we go again, so..... from the looks of the tires in the photo, wheel balance,and/or bent wheel, and alignment are all issues from the photos given. I would start with the cupping problem , which is normally caused by an out of balance tire, or bent wheel[or on a car or truck, bad shock], the one sided wear is definitely an alignment problem. the cracking comes from being subjected to either too many UV rays, or just plain old stock left in an unsuitable environment causing the tires to dry out. You need to remember that tires are a petroleum product, and left out in the weather will dry out from heat. Why do you think race car drivers cover their tires before going drag racing? HEAT! Please keep your tires covered when not using your trailer, as it will make them last a lot longer. RZRBUG, not necessarily, these trailers have independent suspension, so only one side could be out causing inner, or outer wear on only one tire. You would be on the right track if it were a solid axle. I hope this info helps. Dale, next time you are in Spokane, call me, I will help you any way I can, 509-927-5040. Eric
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Yep.
    Hadn't thought about the fact that since there's independent suspension that one side could be out. Mine is even on both so the whole is off just a hair.
  • Options
    PXL, not unusual on a "stub axle" independent suspension. Toe is a very difficult thing to keep aligned. A rock, pot hole, curb, almost anything that contacts the tire and wheel assembly at an angle can cause an issue.
    Even camber can be affected for the same reasons, and cause one-side wear results. From reading your thread on this issue, sounds like you're either "old school" [no pun intended], or "school of hard knocks" educated on these type of issues. I really don't have much room to talk on either case, been doing this since I was 14 on Model A's, T's, Edsels, Kaisers, and anything else my uncles, dad, or grandfolks drove! Keep rollin', and keep the shiny side up! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Thanks, Eric.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    LNOGUNNERLNOGUNNER Member Posts: 2
    I pulled my wheels today and could use the same pictures. These wheels made it to 6000 miles. 
  • Options
    LNOGUNNER, Tires man, tires! I looked at Dale's pictures again, and part of what was causing wear was tire balance, and part low air pressure. The low air pressure aspect could also cause the cracking from heat. the cupping aspect is caused by balance- bouncing of the tire on the road due to imbalance. Not something you would necessarily feel in the tow vehicle. Make sure when you get new tires they are balanced properly. If you have wear on the outer edges, low air pressure issue, raise it 5 lbs, mark across the tread with chalk, and the whole line should disappear. Good luck, and Happy Trails to 'ya!
    Spokane, Wa.