Options

2014 jeep Cherokee 2000lb tow capacity --- help please

LandoLando Member Posts: 8
anyone tow with the newer version jeep Cherokee 2014? I have the OEM hitch but NOT the tow package. Rated for 2000lbs.  I am concerned that is too close to the limit.  What drop do you have with the hitch (looks like jeep offered a 2" or 4" drop)?   Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    I think you are very close to T@B ( assuming that is what you have) ,contents and those in TV limits. You will most likely stress the transmission and engine since you do not have a tow pak. Also is the 2k tow rating with or without the Tow Pck? I'd be very leary towing.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I use a 2" drop, just look at it after you hook it up and see if the T@B look level, if it looks level you should be okay to tow. As for the weight the trick is to not over load your T@B that way you will not go over your limit. I know when I started I tried to take everything but the kitchen sink and all that did was make a lot of work loading and unloading. You don't need that much and what you do need split between your T@B and your Jeep. I hope that helped.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    2000 pounds is your maximum towing capacity.  This will be reduced by any weight carried in the TV including driver, passenger(s), luggage, camping gear......  It is very likely you will be technically "overloaded".   Running so close to rated capacity you will find it difficult to maintain highway speeds and climbing long hills.  Also, keep in mind that the aerodynamic drag of a T@B is similar to larger trailers so it is misleading to consider only the weight.
    That being said, if you are experienced towing and are only traveling a few hours away, you'll probably be fine.  A more capable TV may be in order if this is the beginning of thousands of miles of touring.
    Have fun!
    Bob
    SUNT@B

• Options
    RoadWorrierRoadWorrier Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums - just joined today because I'm shopping for a new T@B.  This post caught my eye because I too own a new Cherokee (2016) that is rated for 2000lbs.  I've heard of folks pulling these with Ford Escapes (also rated at 2000lbs).  The dealer said I wouldn't even know it was behind me - typical sales-talk, so I'd like to hear from folks who actually own small 4cyl SUV's and what their experiences have been.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Escape with 2.0 ecoboost has 3,500 towing capacity....
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
  • Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    Lando said:
    anyone tow with the newer version jeep Cherokee 2014? I have the OEM hitch but NOT the tow package. Rated for 2000lbs.  I am concerned that is too close to the limit.  What drop do you have with the hitch (looks like jeep offered a 2" or 4" drop)?   Thanks.
    My TV is a 2012 2dr Jeep Wrangler Sport also rated 2000lbs.   It has a 3.2L V-6 Pentastar.  I live in NC & have pulled it through the Appalachian mountains with no problems at all.  No lift on jeep & use a 2" drop, puts the top of the ball at about 18" off the ground.  
    2016 T@B Outback/Sofitel combo
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    LandoLando Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the comments and photo! I did forget to mention that I do have the 3.2 v-6. Still... It is rated the same as the smaller i4 engine. So disappointed that this doesn't have the full tow package.