Options

Route Recommendation to Cape Cod

jgirlpajgirlpa Member Posts: 9
We will be traveling East from Pennsylvania crossing into New York around Poughkeepsie (to avoid NY City).  Any suggestions for the best way to cut west to east across Connecticut to Cape Cod avoid the major highways?

Comments

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    What day of the week and what time of day will you be travelling through CT?  I assume you will be taking I-84.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    jgirlpajgirlpa Member Posts: 9
    We are traveling on a Saturday and should cross into CT around 4 pm.  We want to avoid 78 in PA, and wanted to avoid I-84, but looks like that would add 4 extra hours to travel time. Looking for a quick place to spend the night and not spend lots of $$.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Stay away from I95 in CT. Look for cracker Barrel Flying J or walmarts to stay overnight at some point you will hit traffic going to the Cape
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    DO NOT take the Merritt Parkway or I-95 like John & Kris said above.
    I-95 is always backed up & is nuts! Merritt Parkway is notorious for multiple accidents and has very short on/off ramps. Lost of speeders.The only other direct route is, unfortunately, I-84. For the majority of it's CT length, it is pretty seamless. Going through Waterbury can be sticky as there is road widening construction just east of Waterbury. Hartford can also have heavy traffic as it drops to 2 lanes just after you get through the heart of downtown. Just have to pay close attention to the road in these 2 areas. If you can avoid both cities during rush hours, you should be fine. I live in central CT, my husband commutes on I-84 daily to Danbury/White Plains, I drive on I-84 often so we're very familiar with that highway.

If you want to spend at least 3-4 hours getting through CT, you could take route 44 but you'll be in residential/commercial/city areas from about the town of Farmington through east Hartford. (basically the central part of the state/Hartford County) It's hilly & very scenic coming in from the northwest corner on 44: once you are through Hartford it becomes a beautiful drive again.

Once you are on the Mass Pike, prepare for traffic getting closer to the Cape especially on weekends. Oh & 1 thing to note, shoulder driving is ok in Mass, don't be alarmed if/when you see drivers passing you on them.

Message me if you need any more info on CT driving. :)
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Jo_chrisJo_chris Member Posts: 21
    No trailers allowed on Merritt Parkway.
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    My Cape Cod friends have recommended taking 84 through Connecticut all the way to the Mass Pike.  Take the Mass Pike east to 495 and take that south to the Cape.  All interstate with some tolls on the Mass Pike.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut