Options

We had a blast!

ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
Just returned [Monday] from 6 days of some of the most fun I've had camping in a LONG time! Started out last Tuesday a.m. to Swan Lake. From my driveway to there is almost 3 hours exactly.
My Chevy Avalanche [White Wolf] performed awesome going over Sherman Pass towing the WolfT@B. The new programmer I purchased for the computer was everything I expected, and more. Better gas mileage, towing torque, less down-shifting, and lower RPMs as well.
Upon arrival, as we went with some very good friends who live in Oregon and had never been there before we opted to give them the lake front site across the road from us, and turned out to be an excellent choice as we also had an awesome view and visiting from site to site was the best. Set-up was a snap, and decided the new canopy we purchased was a better choice than the attached tent. It is 14x12 and screen enclosed with a zipper door on either side. Fit right over the picnic table with room for our outdoor kitchen and drink cooler as well. Operated the WolfT@B on propane and 12v the entire time with no issues. Used fridge, lights, water fresh and shower [was heavenly!], and on occasion the fan. Everything worked perfect, only had to adjust the Alde thermostat once.  The fire pit was only 10' away, so very accessible as well. Some really good bratwurst, couple drinks, nice fire and good night. Weather was 70's daytime upper 40's to lower 50's at night, perfect camping weather!
Day 1:
Got up to camping coffee, great view of the lake, and to my surprise the Camp Host was the same from 3 years prior, now a good friend. He informed us of two bears roaming the campground, one black bear, and a grizzly. Two nights previous one of them took off with a campers outdoor rug [guess he needed a door mat!], but no other incident. After listening to his warnings about leaving food out, and keeping food products in either the fridge, or TV, he informed us that some researchers were going to be tagging the baby loons [Swan Lake is a loon preserve] on Thursday, or Friday, and he would keep us posted as to what day. Also gave us information about the fire fighters that saved the campgrounds and lake from the devastating fires of last year.[By the way, record fires for the state of Washington] The town of Republic is 14 miles away and was on a level 2 evacuation notice, some of the mountain folk with one way in & one way out, level 3. After our chat, invited him for dinner, and went about showing my friends around the place and checking out surrounding fire damage. Found the picnic lodge [built in the 20's] to still be in good order. Some of the trails had been damaged, and trees fallen over, but my friend the Camp Host [who by the way is an ex Navy Seal] took the initiative, and time to clean up and remove trees and debris from these trails along with help from the Forest Service folks who also do a fantastic job there. 
After wandering the trails and discovering that the huckleberries were totally gone [someone had come in with rakes [highly illegal] too early, and not only prematurely picked all the berries, but pretty much decimated the bushes as well, thanks a lot!], went back to camp to start dinner while my friends enjoyed their first encounter of the lake.
Ok, camping is vacation to us, so eating good is on the top of the list! First, bring the pit barrel, second, get out a 9 lb prime rib roast to thaw, third, start pit barrel, fix prime rib [marinate for an hour in Worcestershire, Kosher salt, lemon pepper, and garlic powder ] fourth put prime on and cook for 5 hours. Results: OMG! There were 5 of us for dinner including the Camp Host [Jake], and everyone said was the best they have ever had. Also on the menu, salad, brussel sprouts, baked potatoes [wrapped in tin foil with garlic powder, butter and lemon pepper, cooked over the BBQ] , and for desert, Fresh strawberry shortcake! Yummy! Needless to say, sent Jake home with a prime bone, and watched as he struggled to make it up the hill to his trailer.
Started the fire pit, had some good drinks, lots of laughs, and went to bed.
Day 2:
Camping coffee, eggs, sausage, home made biscuits, and hash browns [left over baked potatoes!] My friends and wife decided to take a hike around the lake, a 2.2 mile hike. Being disabled, some of that terrain is not conducive to my ailments, so I remained in camp, and got firewood ready for that evening. I don't know how many photos were taken, but according to my dear wife, she said there were a lot of photo op stops and camera clicking. It usually takes about 2 hours for the hike, this time, 3. All had a really good time, and the panoramic views change dramatically as you go around the lake. They saw the burned out beaver dam, the new one being built, baby geese, the loons, and moose droppings. [Usually all you see of the moose] By the time they got back to camp, was time for lunch, and prime rib sandwiches were on the menu. Dinner was stir fry, and pretty much took care of the left-overs. [Squash, zucchini, onion, and cut up cauliflower]  Camp fire, more laughs and drinks, and plans for the next day.
Day 3:
 Camp coffee after a really good night sleep! Best investment and mod I've make so far is the memory foam roll-up mattress and the bed slats! Breakfast, and a surprise visit from Jake. he had just got a text from the loon researchers, and tonight is the night for the tagging of the baby loons!
 My friends went on a hike on the outer ridge of the camp ground to get a good view of the fire damage around the area. They were amazed how close it got to the campground and the fantastic job the firefighters had done saving the area. I spent the day in camp chopping firewood [I always just bring rounds from my property, cherry, apple, fir and plum, same as I use at home.] My friend found some Tamarack rounds someone else had left to add to the pile. Never haul unused wood home, just leave it for the next guy! Took the ham out to thaw [6 lb] for dinner on day 5. About 9 p.m. Jake came by and said he hadn't heard from the researchers, so went to look for them at one of the other lakes close by they were doing research at. researchers finally showed up about 9:30-10:00. Said they had to time it right so it was dark enough, but the full moon was low enough as not to scare off the birds. A flat bottom boat, bright light to spot with, a REALLY big soft net, electric motor, Jake on board for spotlight duty[he was thrilled to be asked!], two researchers, and away they went. We were standing on shore with a really clear view of the action as they chased the birds to separate the chicks [6 weeks old, 6 to 7 lbs each which surprised me at the size!] and the chase was on! After probably an hour to an hour and a half, by the way it was in the low 40's, [and getting quite cold] they managed to capture one of the chicks. it was then brought to shore when they discovered it had a treble hook [again illegal to use on this lake, as are internal combustion engines.] stuck in it's foot. They with Jake's help managed to remove the hook, weigh, and tag the bird. Very cool stuff to watch and learn about. To my surprise, we were asked who wanted to pet the loon! I thought my friend, and a Canadian couple were going to run us all over getting in line. At this point the coolness factor went WAY up! Their feathers are like silk they are so soft. Next was releasing the bird, which two volunteers got to go with. We all voted the Canadian couple to go so they would have the adventure to take home with them. Jake and I pushed the very heavy flat bottom boat out, thoroughly soaking our sneaker ridden feet!  Two of the researchers are also wildlife photographers and the cameras were clicking the whole time! One of the best experiences I've had camping, for sure. Bed time, and good dreams of the day!
Day 4:
Yup, camp coffee, eggs, bacon, and hash browns. My friends decided to make a trip to town [Republic] to explore, pick up ice and eggs, and paper towels. [Forgot to bring a spare roll!] They went into a second-hand store to find no owner, but an English mastiff, German Shepard and two pit bull puppies in charge! The mastiff was asleep on the couch. Then they went to the fossil museum, and wandered about for a while. While they were gone, a storm blew [and I mean BLEW!] into camp with pouring rain, ice and hail. Needless to say, I got SOAKED from running around covering up wood, solar panels, and chairs around the fire pit. My friends ran into the same storm on their way back from town as they were exploring the other two lakes near-by. They told me they had to stop under a tree because the hail was coming down so hard they were afraid of it breaking their windshield. By this time, I had found my rain gear [didn't have time when the storm blew in, it was quick!], and went about helping my friends dry things out and assessing any damage. [none] the rest of the day was spent relaxing. Lots of talk about the loon adventure, and then Jake made another visit with a really cool calendar that the photographers had made and given him from loon photos as thanks for his help in the previous nights tagging process.
Day 5: Ok, this is the day I barely managed to survive alive! My wife had gone fishing the day before, and caught three fish, let two small ones go back to grow up more. Our friends had gone for a bike ride [funny story to follow], so I decided to go for a fishing trip to the dock with my bride. Upon arriving at the dock with the only thing left to do being setting down my fishing chair and baiting my hook, I cast out a good long cast. I didn't even have a chance to sit down, and FISH ON, HI-HO! The guy fishing at the end of the dock had been there for two hours with only 'bites' to show for his efforts. Got the fish off, recast, and barely managed to sit down this time...FISH ON HI-HO! while reeling in this fish, I noticed several disgruntled looks coming my way, from my wife, and the guy at the end of the dock. Fish off, cast again, this time got to sit down and take a drink of water, FISH ON, HI-Ho! By the time I reeled this fish in, dirty looks abounded, and the guy at the end of the dock packed up and started to leave, grumbling words I can't repeat here, all aimed in my direction! Before [insult to injury!] he reached the trail out of site, FISH On, hi-ho. By now, my wife [who also had nary a bite during this time] was getting let's say...peeved! Six fish later [4 thrown back- too small], with the looks I was getting now, I decided to go start the pit barrel and dinner while the getting was still good. Note to self on way back, make a drink for the wife.. REALLY good idea!
By this time our friends had returned from their bike ride on the trails. After crossing one stream, and getting to the second, more sketchy crossing, my friend's husband decided to cross first, telling his wife to be careful, don't follow too close. Well, getting through the stream was not the ordeal, getting up the other side was a challenge. As he started to go up the other side, the front wheel bogged down, and BOOM, rear-ended by the female driver behind who had not heeded the don't follow too close warning! Needless to say, both were wet, slightly injured, but ok. His version of the story was pretty funny, I laughed, and now I'm dealing with TWO not so happy with me wives! I left, and put the ham on the pit barrel. At this point Sea breezes for the ladies, beer and Whiskey for the guys, ate dinner, again started the fire and laughed a lot, and bed!
Day 6:
Today, was going home day. Had started packing up the big stuff the day before, and now it was just little stuff, hook up, and go. Started out: weather: 66 degrees, got home to Spokane, weather: 95 degrees. I want to go back to the cool of the mountains!
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    Just a note, pictures will follow, waiting for my friends to e-mail them to me. Might need some help for a computer challenged guy!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    boo, T@B 2016 S, silver on gray
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love the whole trip, but especially the fishing part ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna, you'll need to T@B along next time!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Verna, I invited PXL, but never heard back. Snooze 'ya lose! At $4.00 a day with the senior pass, 'ya can't beat the rates! My friends from Oregon were telling me it's hard to find a place for less than $30.00 a night, but I think they use full hook-up facilities most of the time. By the way, an extension to the fishing trip... when I left, I gave the wife my stool, spot, and baited her hook, cast ot out too. She only caught one in another two hours, so I don't quite know what to say other than the "old guy" is just lucky. Additional note: I still haven't heard the end of it, could be banned from fishing in the same spot for life. She skunked me the last two previous times, but that still hasn't come up in conversation...at all! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Missed that - Thanks for the invite but I'm in Midwest in July for family gatherings and blues festivals.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Missed that - Thanks for the invite but I'm in Midwest in July for family gatherings and blues festivals.
    Eric put it on your Wall, which is probably why you didn't see that. You have to look at the Activity page or at your profile page to see his message. (That's the place that isn't a "private" message.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna, I sent him one on his wall, he just told me he had previous engagements, it's all good! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Pxl, if 'ya hear of any good blues festivals on this side of the mountains [Sawtooths, and Cascades], let me know, love blues and bluegrass! Sorry you missed my post, must have done a phopah somewhere! Happy trails, and hope you had a great time! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    PXL, All mine are usually operator error when trying to post stuff! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Awesome trip report @ericnliz! good times :)

• Options
    Tommy, With good friends, [known my friend's wife for 46 years, went to H.S. together] always. Have gone on raft trips with them in Oregon for the past 15 years, and this time it was their turn to come north! We are already planning next years adventure at a different place!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    you had me at 5-hour prime rib :) I recommend keeping next year's location a tightly controlled secret :)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    OMG, you had me a  5-hr prime rib too! What a riveting camping trip recap! I felt like I was there. Ok, just wished I was there!!! Amazing. Thanks for sharing!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Loved your trip report.  So much better than our 90 degree weather attempts so far this summer.  I imagine that there are going to be many great photos to follow.  Thanks for sharing...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Ericnliz, I am interested in the awning you describe. Can you tell a little more about it?
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    Carolyn, We bought it on sale at either Fred Meyer, or Target, can't recall which it was now. I think it was about $89.00. It is 14 x 12, all 4 sides are screened in, and has doors that zip on two sides. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes to set up and take down. Poles for the short side are color codes, so they are easy to identify. Best awning I've ever had.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I am interested in the programmer you reference in the beginning of the thread.  Is this for your vehicle?  Thanks 
    John 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    John,  Yes, the programmer is for the tow vehicle's computer. The programmer I have is made by Superchips. I purchased mine through Auto Anything on line. Since I don't know what your tow vehicle is, your best bet is to go on line to Auto Anything, and put the specifications in as prompted for your vehicle. Then you can see if one is in fact available, and read more about what it can do for your vehicle. I hope that answers your question, if not, let me know.
    Eric
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Almost forgot the Zombie effect! 22 in six days, and the campground only has 28 camp sites! Next trip we are going to get a sign-in book for the Zombies. Before they can look, or enter, they have to sign in including where they are from. Should be fun!
    Spokane, Wa.