Options

Battery Cutoff option on 2016 models?

Hi again, I'm sorry to ask so many newbie questions but I do check the archives first...
I am getting a 2016 T@B Outback this month, very soon. It's a demo unit at the dealer's and it's sitting in the showroom. A battery comes with the trailer, but it is not now in the front box where it will reside. 
My questions are this:

1. Do the 2016 models come with a battery cutoff feature? My salesman did not seem to know. 
2. If no, then is there a way I can have them install one? Should I? How much should it cost and what is the best one to get?
3. When would I use it? I'm a little unclear on that.
4. The salesman said I should not turn off the battery when I have the camper stored and unhooked in my driveway, but won't it deplete because of phantom power? 
5. Should I have the dealer install a bigger battery than the factory one and just pay for an upgrade?

I think that's it for now. Thank you all so much.

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Floridaloha #1 My 2016 S came with a battery cutff switch located on top of the battery box [red switch with green for on, and red for off indicators located beneath the switch, visible through cutouts on the switch]
                      #2 You can have one installed, yes, if it does not come with one.
                      #3 I turn mine off when I'm not using my T@B
                      #4 Turn it off
                      #5 Depends on what is installed to begin with. You should look at the AMP hour rating, not the cold cranking AMPs. You're not cranking anything, but you do want a higher AMP hour rating for storage.
    I'm sure others will chime in, these are just my experiences.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    bobncathybobncathy Member Posts: 9
    when towing the vehicle should the switch on the battery cover be switch to green to charge the battery or to the red?
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    bobncathy,  it should be to green ,to have power to your breakaway switch..
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    #4 If you have the trailer plugged into your house mains while sitting in the driveway, the converter will charge the battery if the cutoff switch is on. We have been plugging in for a day or two every couple weeks to keep the battery charged. In between we switch the cutoff switch off to keep the phantom draws from discharging the battery. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York