Options

Suggestions for camping spots between Southern CA and AZ

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
I will be close to finishing my Western U.S. "tour" sometime the beginning of Nov but don't necessarily want to head back to Tucson. Would like to visit more places but stay between Southern CA and AZ so I can scoot over to Lake Pleasant the end of Jan for T@Bzona. I'll be leaving from Oceanside - was thinking of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park for one. Have heard not so good things about Joshua Tree - thoughts? Is the Salton Sea worth it? And possibly the Mojave National Preserve? Since it'll be Nov/Dec/Jan I want to stay "low" (not up into the mountains as it'll be cold). Is there any good camping along the CO River in the Blythe area? I don't want to go more north as I was there when I first started out (Parker, Lake Havasu, etc.). 
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Salton can be really stinky - Hear Borrego is nice, haven't been - One of my favorites is Lone Pine, CA - There's a state park on the Colorado south of Blyth. I boondocked across the river for a few days - There's Fortuna Pond NE of Yuma. Tuck yourself in under the trees on the south side - Joshua wasn't bad if you can get into one of the campgrounds with the bolders - If you've never been, there's Slab City southeast of Sulton Sea but some say it's a little rough in certain parts - If you like dunes, there's Imperial Dunes west of Yuma and dunes in the middle of Mohave - If you happen by Barstow there's Owl Canyon just north.
    All I can think of at the moment.
  • Options
    Thanks PXL - I'll check some of those out and see what I might like. Guess I should have mentioned a place must having hiking trails which may narrow the possibilities.

Thanks for the heads up on Stinky Salton Sea. Do you mean the Picacho State Rec Area (for the state park south of Blythe)? The description says getting to it is on a very long dirt road.  I don't see "Slab City" on the map - guessing that's a nickname? 

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Picacho - Think that's it.
    Hiking = Lone Pine, Borrego, Joshua, both dunes, Owl.
    Ya, Slab City is the nickname - SE of Salton Sea - Think it's these BLM...

• Options
    Thanks again PXL (and for the hiking availability). M.

• Options
    Haven't been but have had several recommend it - Kofa - north of Yuma on the road to Quartzite.