Options

2014 Ford Escape with Ecoboost

marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
Hi All.... I really want to purchase at T@B MAX S, but concerned over towing with my 2000 lb capacity.  I live in Northern AZ and travel to Colorado a lot.  Plan on doing a lot more states once I get my T@B. 

So the question I'm asking is, if I do get a transmission cooler, brakes, etc. will my Escape be an okay TV?  If not, my backup plan is a T@G MAX, which has only a 1060 lb towing capacity vs. 1700 lb.  Just not sure about adding anything to the T@B like kitchen supplies, bedding, etc.  Most likely won't pull filled with water...

Any thoughts?  All points of view welcome!

Thanks... Marilyn
:s
M@rilyn
Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
But still passionate about the brand!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The T@B MAX S has a dry weight of 1,670 lbs, plus about 60 lbs for your battery, 20 lbs for your  propane tank filled plus power cord, cookware, clothes, bedding, food etc. and you are too close to 2,000 lbs, and you could easily go over 2,000 lbs without adding fresh water.

You would be much safer towing a T@G and then later when you can get a larger tow vehicle, you could trade up to a T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You need to look at the GVWR instead of the dry weight to tow. You are very close to max and I wouldn't recommend towing anything close to the max recommended for any vehicle. Remember, you will have a full propane tank, a battery (already past 50# added weight), then bedding, sheets, stuff in the cooler/frig, clothing and most importantly, the weight of the driver and passengers. That said, European and Canadian tow capacities seem to range 10-50% higher than U.S. tow weights - insurance or warranty issues? Who knows? 

My humble opinion... very humble, mind you. Buy the T@B you want! Then trade up your TV that is "tow ready". Those usually comes with a beefier alternator (not always). Transmission coolers are usually aftermarket. You'll have to get a brake controller. Many states require them at 1000# and some at 1500#. Either way, it is added peace of mind to have a breakaway cable to activate brakes if the trailer gremlins unhitch it. New vehicles even have the 7-pin connector already built in (some pickups have the brake controller too) and a trailering mode that will delay transmission shifting up and down steep inclines. 

Best of luck with your decision. Don't invest in something that you will regret. My rule of thumb is to look at the most affordable and practical and then get the next step up in amenities. It hasn't failed me yet. No "what ifs". 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    V and I were channeling each other!! Careful V, there's that "crazy" brain cell there. It might be infectious!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    V and I were channeling each other!! Careful V, there's that "crazy" brain cell there. It might be infectious!
    I've already been told I'm certifiably insane, so I already have it ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thank you Verna and Ratkity!  Very good comments and recommendations... My feeling always has been to stay with the T@G, my TV is still very new, I only have 15,400 miles on it and still owe enough I would be upside down to purchase a bigger TV.  Either way I know I will be very happy with either a T@G or T@B, but the T@B would be a nice to have and maybe later. =)
    M@rilyn

• Options
    Marilyn, spend money on a privy tent (Trekker from Cabellas, but they rebranded it), a Travel Toilet (see Amazon), an Ivation lithium battery powered shower (Amazon), a small Rubbermaid tub to stand in during showers and your T@G will serve you well. Somewhere on the LG forum is a recount of me spending my first winter in AZ in a Silver Shadow. I have some helpful hints that will help you in your new T@G. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Verna said:
    Marilyn, spend money on a privy tent (Trekker from Cabellas, but they rebranded it), a Travel Toilet (see Amazon), an Ivation lithium battery powered shower (Amazon), a small Rubbermaid tub to stand in during showers and your T@G will serve you well. Somewhere on the LG forum is a recount of me spending my first winter in AZ in a Silver Shadow. I have some helpful hints that will help you in your new T@G. 
    Hi Verna... already got the privy tent, travel toilet and have the Ivation shower (per your previous recommendation someplace else) and the tub in my Amazon "List" waiting to be ordered.  I'm not ordering anything until the T@G, which I already purchased gets home with me.  =)  So thank you again for all your great information.  I figure by the time I bring the T@G home, I'll be very informed T@G owner. 

PS Just had to ask before I picked her up if I should or could go to the T@B.
    M@rilyn

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Safety FIRST!! Stick with the T@G until you can afford to trade up both trailer and TV.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    marilyncp  Congratulations on your T@G purchase. Many happy adventures!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al