Options

Flame Genie review

We had a chance to use our Flame Genie on our last 6 day outing. We love it. On the plus side. Very compact, not to heavy, fast lighting with liquid charcoal lighter, on smoke or embers, very little ash left, good sized flame with good heat output. We used about 10# of pellet per fire. One 40# bag was $6.99. Store bought fire wood have cost $25-$30 for 4 to 5 fires and taken up a lot more space. I can carry everything in one tote. Cost around $120 for the latest version. Older versions can be found for $80 but they are less compact with fixed legs. I really found know negatives. The underside gets very hot do not set it on any combustible materials. The only trick is to add pellets while there is still a good flame. Add pellets slowly if you smother the fire it will smoke until the new pellets get hot enough to ignite.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited August 2016
    It is definitely a keeper for us. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I really like ours as well.  We used it on the last night at Tearstock, and the only issue we had was it smoking when adding pellets.  We found you must add pellets while it still has a good flame or it will get smothered.  If it does smother, I found that if I waited a few minutes, gases would build up in it and you could just light it and it would flame right back up.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic seeing yours at Tearstock was what prompted me to buy ours. Thanks 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    We still love our FG but it is still a little tricky keeping it burning after the initial lighting and burn down. I have found that by adding about a cup of pallets just to one side before the flame burns down works. Then do it again in about 15 min. On the other side. Any more and it can smother the fire and it will smoke a lot. If someone has found out a better way please let us know.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun