Options

ARB extension wiring question

I'm having trouble with the ARB wiring extension.  I spliced an SAE plug on one end and a 12v plug on the other.  Plugged in the fridge, but it won't start.  Plugged in a different 12v appliance, and it worked fine.  Tried the ARB fridge in the 12v plug on the TV, and it worked fine.  So, is the problem with my splicing, or are the wires on the socket and plug too small?  If so, where can I source beefier ones?  Frustrated.

Comments

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I reread Verna's comments on the ArB sale thread and I think I found my answer.  sorry to bother.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    gooselady said:
    I reread Verna's comments on the ArB sale thread and I think I found my answer.  sorry to bother.
    It could be a help to someone else.  I went through the same thing and couldn't figure it out until Lisa33 (whatever happened to her?) and Verna discussed the need for heavier wire.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Well, the things I learned while modifying the ARB wiring cable to support a SAE plug on one end, and a 12v receptacle on the other.

1). The 12v socket is called a receptacle.
    2). Auto supply stores won't have what you need.  Marine shops are your best bet.
    3). Amazon is your friend if you are not pressed for time.  Start this mod well before you are due to depart.
    4). Hoof shears make great cable cutters for the 6 gauge wire.  Grooming shears do not.
    5). Purchase multiple units of everything (except the cable itself ).  I went through dozens of butt slice clamps and two SAE connectors.
    6).  Judicious use of electrical tape makes everything look better.
    7).  Keep friends close by for encouragement and advice.  (Thanks, Verna!)

After all is said and done, the mod is working!!  Woo hoo!

• Options
    fwillisonfwillison Member Posts: 35
    What is an ARB?

Fred and Nicole Willison
    Tulsa, OK
    2017 Tab S Max Outback silver/silver
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    A portable refrigerator/freezer, compressor based just like your home fridge.  And PRICEY too...!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA