Options

Colorado Campgrounds and RV Parks

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited August 2014 in Camping & Travel
I had the chance to stay at a few different spots in July of 2014, so I thought I would give quick reviews. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Mt Evans: Echo Lake

This campground sits close to 10,000' in elevation, making it very comfortable in hot summer weather.

What I liked:

• Location - about half of the way up the mountain, close to the lodge
  • Set right in the woods
  • Campground hosts were very friendly

What could have been better:

Tight spaces, felt like we were doubled up in sites

Cost per night: $17 +$9 Reservation fee, sites: back in, water and vault toilets available 

Ouray: Ouray KOA

What I liked:

• Sites were bigger than  most RV parks
  • Connections all worked
  • Creek running through campground was pleasant to fall asleep to
  • The BBQ dinner was excellent

• No cable tv, not a big deal for me, might matter to others
  • Wifi was incredibly slow

Price per night: $45.50 (without discount card); full hook ups, no cable tv, back in sites

Almont, CO: One Mile Campground (USFS)

What I liked:

• Spacious campsite convenient location between Gunnison and Crested Butte
  • Electric at all sites!
  • Great hosts, very helpful
  • Very scenic
  • Quiet
  • Water connection was reachable from my site!

Not a thing!

Price per night: $18, electric only, water and vault toilets available, dump station at nearby Tall Texan RV Park ($12) on north end of Gunnison, sites: pull through

Near Aspen, CO: Difficult Campground (USFS)

What I liked: one of few trailer campgrounds in the area

• Sites were roomy
  • Proximity to Independence Pass
  • Reservable

It is frequented by hungry bears thanks to many past campers leaving food out

Price per site: $23 +$9 Reserve America fee if reserved ahead, water and vault toilets available. Sites: back-in

Rocky Mountain National Park: Glacier Basin

What I liked:

• The view!
  • The rangers
  • The proximity to Bear Lake and the Glacier Basin
  • Concessions
  • Spacious sites

Nothing comes to mind

Price per night: $20 +$9 Reserve America reservation fee; water, vault toilets, and dump station available, sites back in and pull through

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Nice summary...and great pix!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I'd be interested in what it cost to stay a night in these parks.....  And what type of solar panel do you have Jenn?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I'd be interested in what it cost to stay a night in these parks.....  And what type of solar panel do you have Jenn?  

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I have updated with pricing and some additional basic information. I also realized I forgot the Echo Lake campground, so I will be adding it.

I have (2) 100 watt Renogy panels. I had trouble getting the thicker gauge wires to stay put in the charger, but since I have returned, Richard Lewis shared some great advice which seems to have cleared up the trouble - hold the controller upside down and let gravity help you with the little metal terminal gates. I only used 1, because I could not remember where I stored the branched connectors. :) My TV was not keeping my T@b charged when I drove, so the panels had a tough job, trying to juice up a dead battery. They did get me enough power to take a shower.

I am still having wiring issues with my T@b so taking back to the dealer in a couple of weeks. It is such a haul there, I waited until I was going that way for a football game.

FWIW, I believe that One Mile in Almont was my favorite campground for the entire trip.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Thanks for the tip on Almont...we stayed at an R?c park in Crested Butte for te Wildflower Fest and it was just OK.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Mueller State Park is a wonderful place in Colorado, too, near Divide.  Electric sites only are $22/night with a state park pass.  There are many pull-through sites that are reasonably spaced.  Water spigots are plentiful. Hiking is great, and the town of Divide is only 4 miles from the state park. I would go back there.  :x
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Great information!   Thanks for the input as this will help others out in the future.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Beth, you raise a great a point. The Colorado State Parks are wonderful and often over looked. I did not camp at but visited Brainerd Lake. It was great park set right below the Indian Peaks. I intend on camping there some day, too.

• Options
    greggburchgreggburch Member Posts: 7
    We have camped a couple of times at Kelly Flats up above Ft. Collins on the Poudre River. It's a USFS campground with great hosts, clean bathrooms, good sites by the river. Had a great time. Also camped at Bogan Flats on the Crystal River above Carbondale. Tent sites aren't as nice as Kelly Flats, but the sites by the river are beautiful, and can be reserved in advance. Another USFS campground. $20 a night, half price with the Golden Pass.