Options

First week long Trip

db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
We've done about a half dozen weekend trips so far in the T@B, but just got back from our first week long trip (Banff and Jasper NP in Alberta  :o ), which confirmed our happiness about our choice of the T@B, but also exposed a few issues. Thanks to this forum though, none were a real problem.

The night before our trip,  I replaced our front window that had deformed and  broke when I opened it, by hitting the metal lip above the window.  We had one night of torrential rain, and some rough roads along the way, so I'm glad I replaced it before we left.  Thanks to Elsie for shipping it out quick!  No issues so far with the new window.

Also, before we left I was looking for a new sleeping solution, as we were using two separate sleeping bags that were way too warm.  The RV Superbag was in our opinion, way overpriced, and the Camping World Travasak is no longer in production.  I found this bag on Amazon, with a sheet that is attached the same way most tents rainflys are held out of the way.   It worked great and at $60 is a steal I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Tandem-Person-Rectangular-Sleeping/dp/B00IKZ5318

The issues we had were that the magnetic strip fell out halfway through our trip.   I duct taped it in place, and put a sheet metal screw in it when we got home.   Also, when we got home the hot and cold water knobs for the shower were about to fall out into the shower.   Found that you have to remove the panel behind the TV, and then you can hand tighten the fixture from that side.

One other "issue",  we had immediately replaced the table with bed slats and purchased the Walmart table.  We found we didn't really need the Walmart table either.   We used a couple of bed slats as a coffee table while eating inside, and used our Costco chairs with fold out side table when we ate outside.    Or the picnic table.    We used it once inside for spaghetti, but that was mainly because I insisted we use it since we brought it.

After the first night, I taped a piece of foam above my head. I had a skinned forehead for the entire week thanks to that first night.   Today I installed an old Thermarest foam pad that covers the entire underneath of the cabinets, using double sided outdoor tape.  It's flush with the lip that causes the scalping, and is barely noticeable unless you're looking for it.

One other observation, even with lows in the low 40's, we hardly needed the Alde for heat.  I'd get up and make coffee, and that would heat up the trailer (along with the Refrigerator heat output), and then it would be in the upper 60's or low 70's during the day.  What a perfect little basecamp it was.

Other than that, it towed perfectly and it was great for the trip we did,  we had a bathroom and lunchroom at every pull out we stopped at. :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments