Options

Attach a winch to t@b trailer tongue?

Has anyone attached a winch to the t@b trailer tongue? Have a situation where I can't use TV to push it, and too steep and grassy for the trailer valet to be of use, so my next thought is attaching a 2500 lb capacity winch from harbor freight to the tongue of my 2015 t@b cs-s, attaching the other end to a steel post, and seeing if I can get t@b where I want that way. Interested to hear if others have used a winch, and if so, do you attach to tongue or the other way around? Since most seem to be 12v, I thought I could use T@b battery for power.
2015 T@b Max CS-S pulled by 2006 Toyota Tacoma in Austin, TX

Comments

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    I have not but it sounds feasible to me. I would try mounting on the trailer and tapping into the 12v if it were me. I devised a similar plan in my head because a house that we own and will move into next year has a very (short) steep driveway up to the garage door. My plan came crashing to a halt when I measured the height of the garage door opening - not even close to accommodate an Outback Tab.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I have the HF winch to pull the tab into the garage.  The winch is mounted on a 4x4 and I also changed the power from a 12 volt to 110 volt with a plug. I set the 4x4 across the ground outside back door of the garage which Is Dead Center to the front garage door opening. The 4 x 4 snugs up across the door frame.  Then I hook a tow strap to eye bolts that are attache'd to each side of the frame.  Take the winch hook and attach that to the center of the tow strap.  I get the trailer fairly well lined up to the garage door opening and using the remote that came with the winch, start it up and let the winch do all the work.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    You didn't say how far you need to drag your T@B. If you are only going to use the winch at home you would be better off attaching it there instead of taking it on the road. Have you considered a hand operated commonly used to winch boats onto trailers?
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    JenInAustinJenInAustin Member Posts: 8
    Here's a labeled photo. I built a ramp to clear the first two curbs. The T@b gets stuck once past the concrete, as the grassy dirt is usually muddy, and isn't grass so much as smooth clover-like greenery that grows on its own. The T@b fits between the utility box and the tree, but the truck does not (I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with over-sized tires that are too wide).  The gate is two pieces that open in the middle, vertically,  and the T@b sits behind it.
    @Allie,  I like your idea of using a door frame to hold the winch! I have a metal post in the back that was previously used for a chain link fence that I think should hold the winch, but need something like the 4x4 to mount the winch, then attach to the post. That's why I was thinking the opposite - attach it to the trailer, and loop the tow strap over the post. 

@leenscottfl - Correct, no need for it on the road - just getting into the yard. Seems like I need to consider switching my approach. 

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    It looks like you have a PVC pipe for your dump hose attached to your frame. I like it and will look into stealing the idea if you recommend it.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Perhaps just cut those two tree branches on the right so that your tow vehicle fits?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    If you mount the wench to the tongue and pull it in tongue-first what is your plan for getting it back out? There doesn't appear to be much room to spin the trailer around by hand to get it out.

After seeing this arrangement I agree with 
    @OutbackAZ on trimming the tree and building ramps etc. to get to the point where you can back it in with the TV. In my garage scenario I would have to trim the garage door frame ... by 10 inches haha.

• Options
    It looks like you have a PVC pipe for your dump hose attached to your frame. I like it and will look into stealing the idea if you recommend it.
    @leenscottfl - Yes, that's what it is - the previous owner found the idea on this board, I think, and it was there when we bought the T@b. Yes, I recommend it!
  • Options
    Another thought ... you'd want to make *really* sure that it's OK to drive the weight of your Tacoma over that metal grate and man-hole cover. 
  • Options
    Honestly, I'd rather sell the T@b then ruin the Texas Mountain Laurel! It's a great tree, and very difficult to replant. My idea for backing it out would be to use the winch to "lower" it out, as the winch has power in AND power out controls with automatic load-holding brakes. Or the opposite, if I install the winch by the fence and pull the T@b up. I'm definitely using the winch - just questioning if I should install it on the trailer tongue, or at the fence. Appreciate all of the help! I'll post again with my success/tragedy once I set up & test it out!
  • Options
    Honestly, I'd rather sell the T@b then ruin the Texas Mountain Laurel! It's a great tree, and very difficult to replant. My idea for backing it out would be to use the winch to "lower" it out, as the winch has power in AND power out controls with automatic load-holding brakes. Or the opposite, if I install the winch by the fence and pull the T@b up. I'm definitely using the winch - just questioning if I should install it on the trailer tongue, or at the fence. Appreciate all of the help! I'll post again with my success/tragedy once I set up & test it out!
    Sorry - I forgot about the "steep" part of your original post because the photo you posted looks flat which would certainly present a momentum challenge lowering it back out. Good luck I'm sure you'll be successful - definitely post updates with pictures (or even a video :) ).
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    In this forum, under the heading of "What do you consider your most valuable trailer mod", a member Carol, posted this about her trailer mover.  I saw it in action at TearStock and found it fascinating.  Ofcourse, it is pricey, but it does the job nicely with finesse.

Mouseketab  Posts: 486Member
    My most valuable mod has been installing my Enduro Power Mover

www.purplelineusa.com

It gives me complete control on parking the camper, hitching, unhitching, and storing in my garage. I "can" back up the trailer, but this guarantees I will never get into a backing up pickle that I can't get out of without help.

My 2nd most valuable mod were my storage doors to access the bench seating. I added two exterior doors, and the now standard bench door. There is lots of storage under the bench seats that I wasn't using as I hate "moving something to get to something else" so accessing those areas from doors instead of lifting the bench seating became very useful.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell, 2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Madison, AL
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I also have a steep driveway and use a wench to guide the t@b up and into a fenced area the city made me build.  I mounted the wench to a block wall.  After backing the T@b in a ways. I attach the wench cable to a cable I attached to the frame and just pull her on up.  The cable is actually vinyl coated wire rope.  It's attached to the frame near the tire (there's a big cut out area already there) and the other end is a loop just long enough to go over the handle on my clamshell hatch.  So it does double duty--helps me move the T@b when I'm home and makes sure the hatch doesn't accidentally open when I'm on the road.
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    oh, and since I wench it in backwards it's a snap to hitch up and tow out when I leave
  • Options
    @Tabster, how do you power your winch? The t@b battery or a separate battery?
  • Options
    Actually, I use a hand cranked one.  It was fast and easy to install when I first got the T@B and I intended to replace it with a powered one.  Year and a half later I still haven't bothered.  
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The cost of the hand crank over an electric one might be part of the reason to stay with the hand unit.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It doesn't really matter because her T@B is for sale. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    The power winch was $60 at harbor freight. I bolted onto the ground, and likely would have worked, bit haven't tried it. As Verna mentioned, I have to sell the t@b. Appreciate the help with my idea!