Options

Bears

sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
What are people doing with window settings and food/toiletries storage inside a T@b, in a park where bears are around?

We're used to the guidelines for tents and popups.  Not quite sure where to place this trailer. 
Steve & Sherry
2016 T@b Q
Lakeville, MN

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I store food, coolers with food, and trash in my tow vehicle.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    srandlerle, We camp in a LOT of places where bears are around [Washington, Idaho, Montana], and the best place to keep food [unless it's canned] other than the fridge is in your tow vehicle in a cooler. At night and while we are away, we keep the windows open just to the "slot" position and keep the top vent open about 2 to 3". Time before last when we camped, had both a grizzly, and a black bear wandering around the camp ground. Use common sense, keep your garbage [food scraps] contained or in an appropriate dumpster daily. Don't leave ANYTHING out that will attract them, or they will find a way to get to it. Most important, be safe and have fun! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I bring a bear dog, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2016
    Ditto on the doggie :) Most nights in the trailer so far he's hanging his head out the passenger side window keeping an eye on things.

And what the others said - be careful with your garbage and lock up the smelly stuff in the TV. I was nervous at first locking food in the TV at first because at Yosemite they have a badly damaged car door hanging on a fence with a sign about what bears can do to cars - but honestly I'd rather have it trying to get my car than in my trailer...

We just installed a couple of bear-proof (hopefully) locking metal storage bins for the front of our rig. On our trip out last weekend we ended up storing dry foods and supplies in one and trailer stuff in the other.

dog.jpg 433.6K
    bins.jpg 329.3K
  • Options
    Have one too! Nice Shepard.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - That's just a bear appetiser.
    My father had a twin of Rocky. My cousin had a Rhotwiler(sp). He used to joke that he hoped his dog didn't choke on my dads dog even though his dog was a loverboy.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Tommy said:

Off topic, but can you explain the grill? It looks bolted on, do you travel with it there? I assume you move it to a table or something to use it, yes?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    My advice is to keep everything in the TV and always stay alert. 
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Tommy... were your storage bins specially made or stocked somewhere?
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - That's just a bear appetiser.
    My father had a twin of Rocky. My cousin had a Rhotwiler(sp). He used to joke that he hoped his dog didn't choke on my dads dog even though his dog was a loverboy.
    Shhh! Don't tell Rocky! He chased a herd of cattle out of the road with his bark, alone. :)

Actually, before being a small dog owner, I used to hear little dogs at CG and think, "Bear bait. The bears will go for the little dog, first." :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Photomom said:
    Off topic, but can you explain the grill? It looks bolted on, do you travel with it there? I assume you move it to a table or something to use it, yes?
    Hi Photomom yes it's for travel only. There's a TEE on the propane tank and a 10ft hose to supply the BBQ. I devised some quick-release clips with wing nuts to hold it down securely - I thought about posting a mod report but decided against it because it's so specific to that exact BBQ that probably only I have. We traveled with our smokey joe bbq for a few trips and this is a lot nicer because its bigger and we don't have to deal with storage and getting other stuff dirty etc.
  • Options
    OreoTAB said:
    Tommy... were your storage bins specially made or stocked somewhere?
    Hi @OreoTAB yes they were custom built for us. I don't want to hijack this thread with all the details so I will try to start a new one soon as time allows.
  • Options
    Jenn - Funny how dogs have no conception of how big they are - Small ones still think/act like Great Danes. Had a dinky little thing giving me the business yesterday.
  • Options
    Spent three weeks in bear country and didn't see a one.
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2016
    Saw a very good episode of mythbusters dealing with bears.  Bears hate cayenne pepper.Like, REALLY hate it.  Get some cheap at the 99 cent store and sprinkle it around.  The bears will go to other places and leave you alone.
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Tabster, does it work on Zombies?
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    sranderle said:
    What are people doing with window settings and food/toiletries storage inside a T@b, in a park where bears are around?

We're used to the guidelines for tents and popups.  Not quite sure where to place this trailer. 
    Bears normally will steer clear of trailers....   =)

1.jpg 85.9K
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2016
    Here's a great post from an Alaskan fishing guide about 'the realities' of using bear spray:

Why I Hate Bear Spray

I'm interested in the idea of using pepper sprinkled as a repellant at the campsite.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya