Options

Million Dollar Highway

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
edited June 2015 in Camping & Travel

Is the Million Dollar Highway doable pulling a T@B?  Will there be snow on this drive the first of October?  Is the sky blue? 

I'm hoping everyone can answer at least one of these questions.  (I'd put a smiley face here if the selection box worked, but doesn't right now.)

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Yes, it's doable. I drove it with my T@DA last summer. It's really not bad at all unless you have an extreme fear of heights. There are no guardrails quite a bit of the way, but there are shoulders. So, as long as you stay between the lines, you are fine!
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

The Million Dollar is more than do-able in a T@b.,It could snow, but it is not probable that it would accumulate on the roads and if it did, it would probably melt.

Of course, now that I have said this, they will likely have a blizzard.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Go for it Larry!
    The Million Dollar Highway is the most beautiful drive I have ever seen.
    I can put you in touch with locals in Telluride and in Ouray who can give you advice, if needed. 
    Let us all know when you go. I want to follow your journey. 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Red Mountain Pass is doable pulling a T@B, you have to go slow (15-20mph) anyway due to the sharp & steep curves. It is unlikely, but not unusual, to have snow on the 4 high elevation passes (Coal Bank, Molas, Red Mountain, Lizard Head)...if snow is forecast then we don't go. The sun melts much of the road, but many of the curves are in the shade so you still need to be really careful (you probably don't have snow tires on the T@B). We go every year in late September...one of the most beautiful drives in the country. If the aspens are in peak color we'll take 300 pictures in 2 days.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options

Thanks for the responses.  If I plan to travel it in only one direction, which would be the best, or does it matter?  Or more to the point, which direction requires driving close to the shoulder and which hugs the mountains?  Is there much difference?

Finally, how long does it take?  Can you drive the entire stretch in one day?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Never mind the previous post.  I just took the trip on YouTube, and those questions were pretty much answered.  Awesome!!!!!  One thing for sure, it convinced me that I'm going.  Just not really sure yet if it will be this year next because I want to spend more time in the area than I had originally planned.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Well, I don't know.  It appears that many campgrounds and parks close for the season around October 1 out that way.  Since I will be at Fall River State Park in Kansas until the 28th of September, that would put me in Durango around the first of October.  I'm not sure I want to chance it.  Would appreciate those who live out that way giving their opinions on places to stay that time of year.  My plans were to start North at Durango then turn East at Montrose on Hwy 50 and follow Hwy 50 to Pueblo, then head across the plains back home.  I traveled the Hwy 50 route many years ago and remember it as mountainous and crooked in places.  Still concerned about running into snow that time of year, so I may postpone that trip until next year.  Besides, Mesa Verda is just a bit further West, and I might want to see it again.  Decisions, decisions.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Oddly, many campgrounds (at least State and National Forest), despite the great weather and Fall colors, close in mid-September. So if you have a route (as it appears you do) check out who's open and who's not (I especially like Allstays... http://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm). Here in Durango there are a couple options that you could check, United Campground at the north end of town, the KOA at the south (hey, it's a small town), the Alpen Rose (just north), and the RV park assocciated with Trimble Hot Springs (7 miles north). I'd be surprised if the (excellent) campground at Mesa Verde (about 4 miles up the road from the entrance), or the commercial RV park on Rt. 160 aat the entrance isn't open around 10/1, but I'd still check. We (and Jenn G.) came back from Gunnisoon on Rt 50 to Montrose; there are a BUNCH of campground between there and Montrose, esp. in and around Curicanti Reservoir, but again I'm not sure they're open then. East of Gunnison onn 50...Salida on to the Royal Gorge area and I-25 is a beautiful drive, but again we have no RV expeerience there (yet!). As for weather, we're hoping for good mountain weather too...we're supposeed to be in Denver around 10/1, planning on driving and motelling, but if the forecast is good we'll take the T@B and stay at Dakota Ridge in Golden (open year round)...mountain weather is notorriously unpredictable, so I'd suggest watching forecasts (several of them) up until about a week before you leave and then make a decision. Sorry about the protracted response....we LOVE living here!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    According to the Allstays iPhone App, the Durango KOA is open May 1 to October 15.  I stayed there for 4 days in July and loved it.  Great to stay there and sightsee around the area such as the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Train, Mesa Verde, and Four Corners. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Larry, it's so unpredictable here that time of year.  If you have time to hang out and wait for the snow to melt, then GO FOR IT.  We can have 5-6 inches of snow by the first week in October at 5,820 ft.  Usually that time of year, the sun will come out and melt any snow within a day or two.  But the lower elevations at Mesa Verde might be all right.  I am hoping to take a trip myself at the end of September to Lathrop State Park in southern Colorado.  I spoke to the forest ranger and he said that if the wet weather continues (we have had a WET summer), that there will be snow at higher elevations (8,000 ft. plus), so just be prepared. The unique thing about Colorado is that we have INTENSE sun, so even 3 inches of snow could be gone by the noon the next day if the sun comes out (which it usually does).  As long as you have time to spare to hang out for a day, it should be okay.  I wouldn't wait much longer that Oct. 1 though to do that trip.   :D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    I truly appreciate all the suggestions.  I'm pretty sure I will postpone this trip until next Spring/Summer.  If I hadn't already committed to another event the last of September, I would take off and do the trip right away before any chance of snow because I really would like to see the fall colors.  I saw some of what they can be in Rocky Mountain National Park in 2012 the last of September.  Awesome!  Even then, I ran into some freezing temperatures, but no snow.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I have NOT given up on this trip.  I have been thinking about it for almost a year.  I will probably head out about the first of June.  I need to get back home in time to make it to Tearstock the last of July.  Wrong time of year for fall colors, but I'm sure I will do it again...If the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    MUCH better weather in early June, and you may see some early high country wildflowers...plus spectacular scenery.  We make the trip every year...and we live here!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Will there be snow?  That pass, like most high passes can get snow any time of the year.  On a motorcycle trip in early September I had temps over 100 down on the flats in the desert and a couple hours later up on the pass I had bitter cold and snow.  

Just watch the the weather and have a back up route if necessary.
  • Options
    Done!

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It's so green it looks like the east!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yay!   We just drove over it 2 days ago...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Congrats!  Gorgeous, huh??
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options

Yes, it is, Lisa.  And thanks for recommendations on the camera earlier.  I don't consider myself a good photographer, but equipment sure makes a difference.

Here are a couple more shots.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited July 2015

Thanks, Evelyn.  I really enjoyed the entire trip, including discovering there was such a thing as Black Canyon National Park.  Who knew?

The camera is a Nikon D5300 with a Tamron 18-270 mm AF lens.  I've only had it for a little while.  I usually set it on Program instead of Auto.  Seems to get better photos that way.  I know very little about photography, but I couldn't believe the difference in quality after my first pictures with it.  I still carry my little Kodak digital around for quick shots.

As for Glacier, I was there probably 30 years ago, so I definitely need to go back.  I seem to recall it was about 30 degrees and windy up top in July.

Here's a Picture of the Black Canyon.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Patti said:
    Is that the black canyons of Gunnison?
    Yes.  Gunnison River, but it is actually closer to Montrose.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map