Anyone tow with a Lexus RX450h?

Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
edited October 2014 in Trailer & Towing
I'm considering making a change in my tow vehicle. I currently tow with a BMW X5, which has a 6,000 lb towing capacity. It also has pretty crappy fuel economy. I get about14 or 15 mpg on a good day while towing. If I give into temptation on the highways out west and go above 65, that plummets to 11-12 mpg. I am very drawn to the Lexus RX450h because of the fuel economy (it's a hybrid). It gets an average of about 30 mpg (not towing), which is about twice what my car gets while city driving. The kicker for me is that the Lexus has only a 3,500 lb towing capacity. My trailer weighs 2,200 lbs dry. Its gross weight is listed at 3,300, but that's with 1,100 lbs of water, propane and cargo. I don't ever have anywhere close to that onboard. So, I'm going to say that it's probably no more than somewhere around 2800 fully loaded. Anyway, I'm just giving some serious thought to whether I want to consider a vehicle with a 3,500 lb rating. The fuel economy is oh so very attractive, though! Does anyone else tow with one? I'd also be interested in feedback from anyone who tows a trailer close to their vehicle's rated towing capacity. Thanks! :) Lisa
Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA

Comments