Options

Weighed the Jeep and T@B

2017 T@B Max S, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Birmingham, Al

Comments

• Options
    tabasco_jimtabasco_jim Member Posts: 54
    Jeep weighed more than I thought. The Tab was full water, battery, full propane, and most of our camping gear.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    That's good data to have. How much did it cost and where does one have it done? Do they do the tongue weight?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    No, on the tongue weight. Most truck stops have scales and they weigh the steer axle, drive axle, and trailer axle. Just drive on to the scale and pull all the way up. Make sure your tow vehicle axles are on the first scale. Cost $11.00 and well worth the info for me. 
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I've done tone weight with bathroom scale and I think is is reasonable estimate...
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Did you unhitch? If not, then your vehicle weight may be a bit high and your trailer weight a bit low because the tongue weight transferred to the vehicle. To get a true weight of your camper, you need to unhitch and have the trailer on one plate and the TV on the other plate.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Carol, that is a very good point. I will try to measure the weight that's on the tongue
  • Options
    iz6iz6 Member Posts: 15
    If unhitched, is it possible to have the tongue on one scale, and the trailer tires on the other scale? Then weigh the car separately.. I'm personally more interested in the weight distribution of the trailer itself. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how low the truck scales go and it looks like they are to the nearest 10lb. I just ordered a hitch scale from etrailer. I will let everyone know what I find when it gets here.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

The etrailer site shows these methods: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

Commercial Scale section shows how to get multiple weights quickly by driving the TV wheels only onto the scale first, weigh in (1), then jack up to unhitch, weigh again (2), then hitch up and drive the whole rig onto the scale for combined weight (3). Then do the math to determine tongue weight versus loaded T@B weight. 
    Well sounds quick, as long as there isn't a line behind you. :)

The bathroom scale Method A works for T@B, but I discovered a glitch when doing this with an old mechanical scale.
    The top surface of the scale will distort from the load when pressed in the middle and give a false reading.
    So I inserted a wood block we use when T@B is parked in our driveway and subtracted that weight.

I haven't tested this but it seems like Method A would work using the jack whenever you are parked level.
    If jack is 12" back from the ball, would that make much difference on the scale? (leverage-wise should be slightly higher)
    If not much different, then all you need to do is --
    1. Chock the wheel.
    2. Measure height from ground to lip of ball socket.
    3. Insert bathroom scale with block under the jack; note block weight.
    4. Release coupler, raise jack and unhitch.
    5. Roll TV forward to clear.
    6. Lower jack to same height from step 2.
    Scale should now show your approximate tongue weight (subtract block weight).

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options

So I bought a scale to weigh the tongue. Looks like it is a little shy of 150#

• Options

What happens if you take a reading at the bottom of the jack at towing height?
    Can you tell much of a difference?

It looks like etrailer does not offer the Sherline model with a lower range (0-1000 lbs) -- http://sherline.com/product/sherline-trailer-tongue-weight-scale/

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    I measured it at towing height. All the weight is on the scale. I did buy this on etrailer. Amazon has the one your referring to but it was a little more.
  • Options

I mean place the scale under the wheel or foot of the jack and crank the jack so tongue is at normal towing height.
    Ex. https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/5/7/5780_v2_1000.jpg
    Is there a discernable difference between reading the scale at the jack versus the ball?

The advantage to the 1000 lb model is it would likely show 20 or 25 lb increments.