Options

PA Camprounds & RV Parks

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I stayed at my first PA State Park this weekend: Poe Valley State Park.

This park is an old CCC project, built around a small man-made lake, amid Bald Eagle State Forest. The lake has a beach (closed while I was there since after Labor Day.) There are free camping spots in the State Forest and one of the few places in the state with legal Jeep trails on public lands. I stayed two nights. For your reference, it is about an hour away from Beaver Stadium on game day in State College.

What I liked:

• Sites had electric
  • Spacious gravel sites, not too close together and amidst trees
  • Campground and facilities were clean
  • Can reserve online with reasonable reservation fees (compared to Reserve America)
  • Campground has paved road

What could have been better:

• Road to park was partly dirt/gravel and partly paved. The paved part had some nasty potholes (coming from 322)
  • Fair amount of bugs

Price: $30/night, water, restrooms, dump available

Tip: site #6 (back in site) was close to water - reachable with 53' feet of hose

There was a lot of rain while I was there so no photo - sorry!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Been to the park but never camped there, wonderful area though, you really are out in the wilds.

We were not too far from there, at Knoebels this weekend.  There is a teardrop rally there next weekend, but we are otherwise occupied, the campground is a bit pricey, but you are right next to a fantastic amusement park.

PA state parks are great, and we have camped in many.  We will be back to Titusville in October to camp at Oil Creek.  The park does not have a campground, but I know the folks that live in the Drake Well Museum's caretaker house, so we are going to park the T@Bpole there.  That is a fun area, biking, canoeing, hiking, a scenic railroad, good brewery in town, really can't go wrong.  Being in Pittsburgh, you have some great, close by options.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I spent a night at J&D campground near Knoebels earlier this summer - actually my initial trip with  my new T@b. It was overpriced, too.

It has been years, but I have camped at Ohiopyle, which I think might be the prettiest park in the state. My dog recently died, which actually frees me to make more weekend trips. I am not opposed to winter camping, either!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Jenn - just have to say I love the way you post your campground "write-ups" listing what you like, what you didn't and various details about each place. These postings will be helpful to many, I'm sure!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!