Options

Outback Cargo Rack Uses

The rack and basket looks nice in my opinion but I just can't for the life of me find much use in it. I still have the tire mounted in the basket which limits the space for sure. I'm not interested in carring  bikes on it at this point. I like to keep extra weight in front or near the axles verses the back of the unit to limit sway issues  so I'm struggling as to how best use the basket for totes, small chairs etc.  Does anyone have pictures not related to bikes that would give me some ideas. 

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I keep a lightweight fiberglass handled shovel on the left of the tire and my cheapie folding lawn chair on the right. No photos as they would not be Pulitzer worthy.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    A couple of folding chairs with side tables from Costco, and an outdoor rug.  Tire is inside under the bed.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    I'm hoping to use our for a couple of x-pens, but we just ordered last week so have no idea if they would fit. 
    Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    edited October 2016
    I have one of those blue IKEA zip-bags in the basket below the tire which I've moved to the very top of the basket. In it I carry 4 tire chocks, water hose, power cord (in a plastic garbage bag in case of rain), the stabilizer handle, a length of rope, the jack wheel, and a tire towel with which I wipe the other items down before stowing them. I also have a Yakima bike carrier on the rack but haven't carried a bike on it yet (another story.) I was a bit worried about the weight back there, but I usually have a pretty heavy load of canned goods under the sink and usually run with 3 or 4 gallons of water in the under-sink fresh tank, and a pretty full fridge. Just got back from a 7,500+ mile trip and it didn't exhibit any instability symptoms.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    Great suggestions. I think a  Yakkama cargo net on the basket with the smaller items securely  tied  in adds value to the security of items. I just hated he thought of  going down the road your not going to know if things are falling out or becoming loose from the basket until you notice traffic behind you dodging items! Not good! 
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, I have a hooked cargo strap across the IKEA bag through the bag handles, as well as a locking cable around the bag thru the handle which also secures the spare tire. I also have a Yak cargo net over the whole basket, as you suggest. I forgot about the poles for my tarp/awning, which I have strapped into the bottom of the basket as well. I'd like to get/make a canvas cover for the basket both for appearance and to protect contents; maybe someday.

I keep my lego blocks and Tire Claw XL inside under the passenger side seat; everything I need to set up (except small surge protector) is outside in the basket unless I need to level side-to-side (rare in commercial campgrounds) or feel the need to lock the wheel, which I usually do if I'm leaving the site for a while. But even with the bed made up, I can pretty easily get to those items.

Edited to add photo per original post request.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander