Options

How to change door light bulb

How do you open up the exterior door light on the T@B to change a bulb? This should be easy, but I cannot figure it out. There are no screws and nothing slides open like the interior lights. Help please.
Stancil Campbell
2011 T@B
Rockingham, NC

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Estancio, if you do a search (upper right corner of this page) on "porch light" or exterior light, I think there is a write up about how to do this. If it's not on this forum, I know there is one on the Little Guy forum www.golittleguy.com. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    These are actually alien "eyes" as portrayed in "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to change the bulb.  If you do, Keanu Reeves will abduct you and your family. Actually happened to my neighbor with his Airstream Bambi (same vendor for the porch light).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    I'm so sorry. The porch light is from the "War of the Worlds" vendor.  It is Tom Cruise who will unsuccessfully attempt to save you and your family if you attempt to change the bulb. It's clear that the porch light was designed not of this world. Leave it be Earthling.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited October 2016
    I can see this thread going off into never, never land :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited October 2016
    No, no, no. The porch light was a stolen piece of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. It'll cut through fog as thick as pea soup. Careful of the fog horns. Don't park too close to the ocean front.

PS Yes, Outback and I can be caught on Comedy Central on the second Tuesday night of every week.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    For those attempting this, be careful as the chrome on the cover will flake along the edges with pressure and there isn't a lot of give or play in this operation.   It's a very delicate piece, requires some patience and will eventually come off.    

You can use a thin knife blade or screwdriver and carefully work it in along the outer edge, at the bottom of the chrome cover and gently pry the cover upwards (and off the tabs) as you can see the tabs and the cover seat over the tabs....  I re-installed the cover and used the palm of my hand to seat the frame down tightly. 

I like this light fixture and if you currently have the LED or quartz style light you can easily change it out and install an amber light that definitely does help out with bugs while camping and I did a write up on this a while back if you are interested.

How to install an amber side light

Attached Image
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Thanks, Michigan Mike!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Chris_and_SarahChris_and_Sarah Member Posts: 52
    I'm on the road and the porch light just went out.   

Went to the local hardware/auto parts store and they don't have an adequate replacement -- nothing with those two prongs that the original one has.

my only thought is that looking at headlights, the upper part of the headlight assembly is exactly the same -- I'd just have to cut the headlight in half, separating the top (bulb) part from the bottom (plug) part.  Any idea if that would work, or if there's some fatal flaw I'm missing?
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Camping World sells the bulbs. I have ordered a new LED fixture this week.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

My initial thought is that the porch light is rated for 12 volts and I've never seen a headlight with a 12 volt battery attached. It's likely rated at 3 - 6 volts. There may or may not be a fire (or melting) hazard in putting that bulb in the porch light, but my guess is that it would either burn out upon turning it on or burn out prematurely - but it would burn REALLY bright until it burned out.

If it was me, I would probably find a way to hang the headlight (or some other temporary light) to the trailer until I could get the correct bulb.

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150