Options

Planning a trip from Yucca Valley Ca to Ashland Or

GabiGabi Member Posts: 1
We are planning this trip for next spring. This is our first bigger trip in our T@b clamshell. I mapped out a by circle route on mapquest that looks interesting but would love some feedback from other people who have tried this route ( more or less).
We hate traveling on freeways and don't mind taking our time.
Any suggestions?
Our last trip was to Big Bear Lake. Fantastic trip!!image

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I came into California at the coast via Cambria and followed the coast up through Oregon and up to the mouth of the Columbia River.  If it were me, I would stay away from the large metropolitan areas as traffic is horrendous in areas like LA, etc.  And as I recall, the trailer towing speed is about 55 mph in California?  I didn't travel south of Cambria but will tell you that the Big Sur area is fabulous and beautiful and there were state parks along the way and I was comfortable.  But I understand that they have turned off the water in these areas and cannot verify that these restrictions are still in place?   Do travel the redwood highway and stop off and see the giant redwood forests of Northern, CA.  There are some lava domes I missed south of this area and additional redwood forests I missed to the south too, but enjoyed the trip north.  If you take the Avenue of the Giants (Don't miss this drive!!!)  make sure you take some time to hike back into the large stands of trees because they are magnificent and you cannot see some of the things you'll see by taking some of these short hikes off the road.  

San Simeon is beautiful as is Hearst Castle and I would take the time to drive up and tour the castle and do the pool tour as it is amazing!   Also visit Monterrey and take the time to do the "17 Mile Drive" out and around the Monterrey peninsula as this is some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet and some of the largest surf you will ever see in your lifetime!   There are seals along these coastal areas as well and you will have your camera in over drive.  There are many wineries in and around the Cambria area and when driving in on Highway 46.  Carmel is a beautiful little town and has some nice shops and tasty dining too!  The beach down the hill at the ocean is beautiful and the drive along the ocean is cool with all the small villas.  You can see Pebble Beach from that beach as well....  

There are nice camping facilities available too at Laguna Seca Mazda Raceway Park and you can watch cars on the track while there.  I used this spot as a base camp and did some day trips along the coast as hauling a trailer around some of these towns is tight.  You can pretty much pick and choose up the Oregon coast as there are RV campsites along the way. 

You have plenty of time and will enjoy that trip for sure!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Google shows I-5, and that's the fastest. I prefer to take Hwy 1 along the coast most of the way.  It's slower, but the northern California coast is beautiful and the towns interesting and away from the congestion of bigger cities.  Keep in mind that I'm quite biased and willing to spend more time for a more iterating trip.  Good luck and have a great trip.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    For anyone interested, in my "Keep in mind" comment, i intended interesting.  I must have misspelled and ended up with iterating but didn't notice it :)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm going to try to show a bit of why sticking to the coast has some advantages.  Patrick's Point State Park, 30 minutes north of Eureka, CA, is well worth a stop.  My sister-in-law and her husband planned a trip up the coast to Washington, across the mountain, and back.  They stopped to  check Patricks point to see why we really loved it so much.  They ended up canceling the rest of their trip and spending it there.  Here are a couple of photos of our campsite during July a couple of years ago.  There is an abundance of beauty all along the northern coast.  If you would like to talk about it, or see more photos, just let me know.

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Gil - great info as I wanted ideas when I start my new journey after I retire. I have family in Portland and want to "meander" up the coast. I will add this to my list. Love hearing about good spots and seeing pics!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    The coast north of SF is beautiful.  There is salt point or Fort Ross campground, both beautiful.  Bodega Bay or wrights beach campgrounds on the ocean are nice as well.  Further north, near Patrick's Point is Golden Bluff campground, on the ocean in the redwoods area (Fern canyon is extremely beautiful and well worth a day walk).  
  • Options
    lilbuddylilbuddy Member Posts: 10
    Thanks so much for the pictures and tips!  So helpful...
    Craig and Mary 2015 T@B S Max