Options

3M Command Strips

Anyone else having a problem getting the strips to hold on the walls of your T@B?  I treated the wall with rubbing alcohol first as recommended and then attempted to hang a very, small lightweight clock, but the clock kept falling off along with the strips.  I thought command strips were a RVer's best friend!
2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    No problem here - Have them holding things in several places - Haven't had any come loose in two years now.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The strips don't handle heat and bouncing well, so I make sure anything that's more than a few ounces are placed elsewhere until I get to my destination. Also note that some strips are only rated for certain weights (1 lb, 5 lb, 10 lb) when used for picture hanging. I usually get the heavy duty ones.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Maybe mine have worked well because I avoid the extremes - heat/cold.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Someone on this forum had a problem with the command strips pulling the interior finish away from the wall substrate, causing a bubble behind the command strip. Since reading that post, I never use them on the interior walls (just on wood surfaces).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    edited October 2016
    We have had issues with Command strips coming loose in our T@B as well.  Normally in very high temps.  We take anything on Command strips down when traveling.

I was interested and I found their website http://http//www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/.  This had a load of information including detailed instruction / spec sheets for their products.  What is notable is the recommended temperature range for the standard medium type strips of 50° to 105° F.   I know the inside of my T@B gets warmer that 105 stored closed up outdoors in a Florida summer.  The say the outdoor versions "Holds strongly from -20°F to 125°F" so this is what we will use in the future and see how it goes.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    OutbackAZ said:
    Someone on this forum had a problem with the command strips pulling the interior finish away from the wall substrate, causing a bubble behind the command strip. Since reading that post, I never use them on the interior walls (just on wood surfaces).
    I had this happen in one spot when I left something hanging on a command hook on a very hot day. The hooks that weren't being used were fine. I make a point of taking things off the hooks when we're on the road or when the trailer is sitting on the driveway and have had no further problems.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hmmm. I'm sorry to hear this about Command Strips - I just decided to try them!

Looks like we'll need to hunt down the 'outdoor version'...

We had a problem with the interior wall's 'skin' bubbling, when we used a suction cup type of hook on it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Found the post - "Wall Paper Bubble Issue."  Pretty scary story.  Right before Halloween and all.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I've had no problem with the Command Strip Velcro on the walls. I have a key holder that I always have at least one flashlight attached to and it is fine. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I haven't had problems on the walls, but I tried using them for a small shelf attached to the mirror in the bathroom...it lasted @ 3 showers and came down.  I think that was more to do with it not being waterproof.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Command makes a special strip for shower use. They come with the shower bins sold at Walmart in the bathroom department.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Command has at least 3, maybe more, types of strips listed on their website: standard, outdoors, bath/shower, etc.  Specs for outdoor and bath/shower look similar with higher temp ratings and water resistance.  Haven't compared prices.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner