Options

Outback platform max weight

MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
There was recently a post on the Facebook T@B forum about placing too much weight on the platform.  A guy stated that the unit he bought had to be refurbished because the previous owner stored his generator, gas, water, ect. on the platforms while traveling and it caused the frame to crack at the seam.  I personally travel with a generator on one side and a box on the other with misc. items in it.  Total weight including the battery and propane I estimate to be around 100 lbs.  Just wanted to ask the experts to "weigh" in their thoughts.  
2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I asked my salesman the same question while looking at an Outback on the lot.  He jumped on one side and bounced up and down.  "Look! I weigh 210 pounds and it holds me fine!"  Just can't get more scientific than that.  I carry two 5 gal. Jerry cans of water on one side of the platform (about 86 lbs).  It's been a year and I haven't noticed and wear or sagging.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Would probably have something to do with how rough the roads/trails you're driving on wouldn't it? If the sales guy (210lbs) jumped up/down for a month might it not create some cracks?
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    MrAmazon said:
    There was recently a post on the Facebook T@B forum about placing too much weight on the platform.  A guy stated that the unit he bought had to be refurbished because the previous owner stored his generator, gas, water, ect. on the platforms while traveling and it caused the frame to crack at the seam.  I personally travel with a generator on one side and a box on the other with misc. items in it.  Total weight including the battery and propane I estimate to be around 100 lbs.  Just wanted to ask the experts to "weigh" in their thoughts.  
    I'm the guy who posted the information up on the FB T@G forum so that people understand that the trailer frames do have the potential to crack and can be damaged when the tongue weight of the trailers is exceeded.  

As for the dealer jumping up and down on the tongue this really doesn't prove much of anything as this type of damage would occur over time, would be the result of road travel and the dynamic loading forces placed/exerted on the trailer's frame (and at it's weakest point) via flex/torque type forces and the twisting/bending/bouncing that occurs along bad roads and uneven surfaces (e.g, traveling the ALCAN highway, back roads, bad highway surfaces, etc.).  

This is not to say that items cannot be placed on or carried on the tongue area, but only that if the tongue weight is exceeded, the frame can potentially incur structural damage over time due to the added weight and in conjunction with road travel and the types of twisting/flexing/pounding/stresses, etc. that occur during travel.  I'm sure that most people hauling these trailers have hit some large potholes from time to time, felt that gut wrenching/jarring thud (as I've felt from time to time) and wondered what effect it was having on the trailer tire rims and the rubber torsion axle system beneath the unit as I've often wondered.  

And as noted above, the information was posted as a means of "raising awareness" and to provide helpful information only so that people think about and digest it and hopefully to prevent someone else from having any issues or problems down the road when they felt everything was fine.

I think with anything (and since these platforms are now popular) it may give people a false sense of security if you will, that if you have a rack for storing items you can virtually store about anything that will fit on them, can be safely strapped down to them, etc.  And unless you have a firm grip and understanding of what your trailers tongue weight and capability is you certainly can haul things up on the front tongue area.  And if not, it's probably a good idea to figure things out (find out what your tongue weight should be) and as previously noted the added weight can change the way the trailer tows down the highway.  We experienced a similar set of circumstances over time with bike racks mounted on the back of the teardrops and via some failures and close-calls that it wasn't the best thing to do.   Hope that makes some sense....  Thanks
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2016
    T@Bnero said:
    i have a trailer with some aluminum modifications and welds. The vibrations from the road and torsional flex will crack a weld. you should be able to repair and and supports to it
    I remember when they first came out with aluminum tool boxes on utility vehicles.  It was common place for the storage boxes to crack and it did require repairs and maintenance.  I never had any issues with the tool boxes I mounted on my LG trailers and actually enjoyed the additional storage space.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ