Options

Roof racks and Awnings

Hi...new T@da owner here...

I suspect I have deduced the answers to my questions, but would love some confirmation from those more in the know...

I have seen Little Guys in person with a roof rack similar to one you would put on a car/truck or some pop ups.  Not sure if they are an option from the factory or not, and I haven't been to a dealer to ask in person.  While they take away a bit of the tear drop aesthetics (in my opinion), I can't deny the additional flexibility they would (at least in theory) provide for camping travel.  Having a kayak trailer myself, the thought of consolidating to less toy-haulers also peaked my interest in such a camper in the very first place.

I can't find ANY photo, reference, forum post, blog post, facebook post, or anything showing anyone adding one to the T@b or T@da.  Can I assume it's not possible or at least very much NOT recommended, then, maybe for structural reasons?  Or have I not looked hard enough?

Secondly, and my main reason for having interest in a rack in the first place, I am intrigued by the Rhino Rack FoxWing Awning product.  While clearly created for a car/SUV, it seems like it would be a really cool add-on to a T@b or in my case the T@da, as you could get some great shade on the side and rear of the camper.  But how to mount it?  Can an awning be mounted directly to the side of the T@b, and if so, is there the "right" way to do it per a recommendation from Little Guy (or in my case, Thor)?

Or am I left with the options made specifically for the T@bs/T@das or a stand-alone enclosure?

Can anyone confirm that these are not options for us?

Comments

• Options
    jayjay Member Posts: 14
    I left a question on Teardropshop.com's site where they sell a rack for the Little Guy (and seem to be affiliated/owned by Little Guy).  Will see how they answer and post their response if it's interesting.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2014
    I sent a note on to the factory and will see what they have to say on your question.........  Little Guy owns and operates Teardropshop.com  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Quick response back this afternoon as follows:

We presently offer a Yakima roof rack that could accept bike rack components. Also, we have a custom bike rack from Arvika, a Canadian company. Attached is the Yakima... awnings have long been available through pahaque and they are on the teardrop shop as are both of these other products.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I would like more information on that Outback edition, Mike! I will be sick if they just started offering this!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Mike...thanks for helping out! So it appears it's an option for t@bs and theoretically my t@da. That's the first photo I've seen of one. The option to order one for the t@b is in fact in the drop down...looks like you would install tracks on the roof rather than screw the supports into the sides like on the little guys.

I will see if they have a suggested weight limit.

Thanks!
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    That rack is awesome... I am curious about the load weight as well, but what a great way to add perhaps a "turtle topper" for some extra storage in a longer trip.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    I mis-read the dropdown from my phone...it's got a listing for a t@g, but not a t@b.   I would want the rack to be the full width (or slightly wider, although I'm not sure Yakima and Thule recommend them wider than your vehicle).  The one in the photo may only be the 6' size, which would end a few inches short on each side.  But looks like it would work nonetheless.  I agree with Xpadrex, it looks really cool.
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    This guy used to post on Facebook quite a bit.  His T@B was for sale so he may not own it any longer.  His name is Michael McGrady.

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    I heard back from Jeff at Rhino-Rack and he confirmed that they did not have any RV-specific mounts for their Fox Wing, and also was concerned that mounting one over 7' high (like on the top of a rack on top of my T@da!) was not advisable given the length of the support poles included.  He did show me a "wall mount" for it, but think I'll rethink the idea, for now anyway.

So looks like I'll end up going the more traditional T@b/T@da awning route, and likely forego a rack for now as well.

Appreciate everyone's help and feedback--thank you!  
  • Options
    LarryLarry Member Posts: 25
    Is this the track installed on the T@B OutBack Edition? Can I do this with the attached instructions on my T@B??
    http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/permanent-installation/tracks42-w-plusnuts
    THANKS!
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I need way more intel on that Outback Edition.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Here is what LG posted on their FB page about the Outback Edition:

Yakima Roof Rack with Basket and Spare Tire Holder; ABS components on corners and tail end; diamond plate tongue box; aluminum platform; Offroad tires and pitched axles; marmoleum flooring; cargo netting above windows and flat gray interior.

This seriously makes me want to consider selling my T@b and getting the Outback edition. ground clearance is a big issue. I would say that I would think you could find a better solution, similar to the European off-road version for mounting the spare tire, though. The set up on the Outback seems heavier than it needs to be for an off-road version.

I wonder what it would involve in terms of labor and cost to swap out the axle and tires on my existing T@b? I really don't plan to do true off-roading with it as I would think it might have difficulty holding up, but would like more clearance for the Forest Service roads.

I am also curious if they did anything to protect the tanks underneath? I am sure they learned a bit from their LG Rough Riders.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I am guessing here, but would think they would have a skid plate beneath this unit and just sent a note on to the factor for more specs and information.  I will post up whatever I find out.

• Options
    Thanks, Mike, that is what I was guessing, too. I am seriously considering going with a tongue mount for my spare tire to help with clearance. It might make a nice November project for me.

• Options
    So here's the scoop on the Outback T@B unit:

Hi Mike...

This unit has yet to go into full scale production, but will by year's end.
    It is essentially the same as a normal T@B but with several key aesthetic differences.  While it may seem more equipped to handle the offroad (and it is), it is not designed for "offroading," mostly due to its tall height and narrow wheel spacing making it top heavy....
    That is it so say, dirt and gravel and grassy fields, etc...are good...rock climbing, river fording and incline driving are not.

Here are the differences:
    Interior
    Cargo Netting Above Windows
    Uber Strength Marmoleum Flooring
    Flat Gray Cushions

Exterior
    5 piece ABS accent trim kit
    Pitched Axle, 14" Offroad tires on 5 Star Alloys
    Diamond Plate Tongue Box (available upgrade on standard models)
    Yakima Roof Rack with Full Sized Offroad Spare and Cargo Basket
    Aluminum Platform on tongue

There are not any skid plates to protect the tanks - only additional ground clearance.
    Skid plates would only further the notion that it is intended for off road use...

All in all, the increase in weight is only around 100lbs.
  • Options

Thanks, Mike. I was guessing it was not meant for serious off-roaring, more aesthetics. I am definitely interested in increasing clearance but I am not sure I am interested in doing that at the expense of increasing the overall height since I have added the Ultrabreeze vent cover.

Off road campers are not cheap and I think it would be tough to make a T@b or something similar fit that mold without significantly raising the cost. It is a lot easier to do that with the Rough Rider.

• Options
    Hang in there Jenn and maybe one day you can pick up the larger (6000 unit???) unit when they begin production sometime in the future.  
  • Options
    Hang in there Jenn and maybe one day you can pick up the larger (6000 unit???) unit when they begin production sometime in the future.  
    I am good with the T@b size. I think any bigger and I would have to get a different TV, which I don't want to do.