Options

New 2017 Outback

pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
Like many buyers, I've lurked in these forums for several months, absorbing the great amount of experience of other T@B owners.  I took delivery of a 2017 Outback from Tom's Camperland in Mesa, AZ on Wednesday and drove it back to Southern California on Thursday afternoon.  To say this has been a great experience would be an understatement.  I had never towed anything before I drove it off the lot! 

I had searched the forums for information about Tom's, and the positive comments were pretty much true.  My experience with them was straightforward.  They knew I was coming and the Outback was all hooked up to water and power and ready for inspection.  The guy who ran through the briefing with me was willing to take all the time I needed to learn about the T@B, even when I pulled out all the checklists I had made while reading posts on this forum.  It took about 4 hours to install the brake controller on my VW Touareg, run me through the briefing, learn how to hook up, complete the paperwork, and I was on my way.  I have friends in Phoenix who helped me through the first day, and the drive on I-10 home was "easy".  I felt like I was towing the Goodyear Blimp it seemed so big.......but my Touareg TDI got 20 mpg, and I'm thrilled with that. 

I took it out to practice backing up in a Costco parking lot on Friday afternoon.  I had taken the reports of "zombies" and the T@B with a grain of salt.....but the normally reserved Californians didn't hesitate to drive across a huge parking lot toward the T@B.    I had 45 minutes to practice, but never had a chance.  Four people stopped to take pictures and ask questions.  On the way home later, a guy in a big Brodozer pickup rolled down his window at a light and yelled over, "Hey, how does that thing handle in the snow?" 

I had never thought about how it would handle in the snow, since I hardly ever see snow. So, that is my first question: how does it handle in the snow?

The bottom line is: this Forum, and the people in the discussions, gave me the confidence to jump out and do this.  Its all I can do to keep from going out in the driveway and living in the Outback for a while.  I'm going to drag it out to one of the beach parks this week for a crash course in using it. And maybe find a quiet out of the way parking lot spot to practice backing up!

2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Congrats!
    Zombies, they're everywhere - Especially in grocery store lots. I've probably given more tours in parking lots than campgrounds. :-)
    One of the best ways to get acquanted with your T@B is living in it in the driveway.
    Other than over mountain passes, I haven't driven in snow - From those short experiences though, I know I don't like driving it thru sloppy, slippery snow. Hard-packed was fine.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    The zombies really surprised me!  I hadn't thought about snow with a trailer.

And, Mr. PXL....I've seen your photography here.  My Outback is silver...do you think it would work as a huge 18 percent gray card?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Congratulations on your new Outback! I have also had the benefit of the great information on this site. I don't believe I have ever run into a more congenial forum group. It's unbelievable how helpful everyone is. I know that I will also have many more questions when my T@b arrives in a couple of months. In the meantime, I will continue to soak in all this knowledge!  Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Interesting question - Hmmmmmm - It's a little on the cool side but might :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    pthomas745, Congrats on your new Outback. Silver & gray are good choices, our 2016 MAX S is the same color scheme. [believe PXL's is as well] I agree with PXL 100%, driveway camping is the best way to familiarize yourself with your new T@B. Gives you a chance to try EVERYTHING out yourself, and get more comfortable before you set out on an adventure. By the way, you might as well get used to the zombie effect, I've had them from neighbors to park hosts, Park rangers, sheriffs, and pretty much everything in between. Liz & I started a log, and make folks sign in, including where they're from before we give 'em a tour. Most of them are surprised with how many names are already present [like they think they're the first zombies we've encountered!]. At any rate, go out, have fun, & happy camping!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    Congratulations! I also agree that driveway camping is an excellent way to get acquainted with your new T@B. I spent many overnights in the driveway to figure out what different arrangements and gear and modifications I would need to be able to sleep comfortably. I do think part of the fun is modifying the T@B to suit your needs and personality - so don't worry what the neighbors may think, go sleep in the driveway, go shopping, and repeat! :-)
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA