Options

Canada camping

AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
we are starting to plan our extended T@B camping trip for next year. We are hoping to head to Canada, from NC. Can anyone suggest reference material to help us with our planning. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
     =)Maps! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Our provincial parks here on Ontario are wonderful.  I would recommend Presque'ile Provincial Park.  If you want a park that gives easy access to Toronto, check out Glen Rouge in the Rouge Conservation area.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Just kidding Alan, ask about the apps folks have been using, I know there are several here that use them for their trips. Sounds like a really good way to plan for stops along the way to camp.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Allstays Camp & RV is my mainstay to find campgrounds, while PXLated prefers Ultimate CG (campgrounds). Also, if you are a AAA member,  you can get free maps, Trip Tiks and information.  Be sure to take an atlas for an easy overall picture. 

My sister traveled to Alaska this summer with only an atlas....and phone calls to me to look up campgrounds on Allstays in the States, Canada and Alaska. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    I drove to Alaska last June and used The Milepost to navigate from the Canadian Border to the Alaska Highway and across to Anchorage.  It isn't specifically a camping/RV guide, but it was extremely useful to me.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    scottdickiescottdickie Member Posts: 29
    All national parks and historic sites have free entry next year. You can look on the Parks Canada website for information. Book camping early if you want sites especially during holiday weekends in the summer.  Algonquin Provincial park is great, the leaves in the fall are fantastic. If you want to see some of the best scenery and meet some of the friendliest people make the extra effort and go to Newfoundland. If you go west don't miss the drive between Banff and Jasper, the senery is breathtaking.That is a start, hope you enjoy your trip north.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    My experience with provincial campgrounds in BC have been excellent.  Well maintained, beautiful, and the fees are much lower than US national or state parks.  The current conversion rate doesn't hurt either :)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I would concur with scottdickie...Algonquin is amazing.  I've not been to Newfoundland yet, but loved our trip to Nova Scotia. 
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We have traveled and camped extensively in Canada from Nova Scotia to British Columbia and the Yukon.   Our preference has been to camp in provincial or national parks along the way.  We have never had a bad experience and the Canadians with whom we have interacted have been gracious and accommodating.    I would echo what has been mentioned about using The Milepost for an Alaskan trip.   Its value?  Priceless!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    All national parks and historic sites have free entry next year. You can look on the Parks Canada website for information.
    Having trouble viewing this site:  http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/index.aspx
    Is it my ISP connection?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Just tried the site myself and it stated
    www.pc.gc.ca/eng/index.aspx
    Please note that the Parks Canada website will be unavailable from Saturday November 5th, 2016 at 09:00 PM until Sunday November 6th 03:00 PM (Eastern .
    Hope this helps
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

Ah, that explains it! On the other hand 3pm EST has come and gone. :(
    I'll give them some slack and try again tomorrow.
    "All national parks and historic sites have free entry next year." intrigues me.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    It is in celebration of our 150th year of confederation. There is probably lots of cool stuff going on all over Canada. Quebec City, Ottawa, and Niagara on the Lake would all be worth a visit. If you have any specific questions just ask and I will do my best to help out. 
  • Options
    WobbsWobbs Member Posts: 4
    I heartily agree that the citizens of Canada are the nicest people I've ever met. I have camped in Newfoundland and will say that if you can make it there, go. We were in St John's on 9/11, and the concern and expressions of sorrow I received from the people there still choke me up to this day. One park ranger even told me that if I couldn't find a place to stay, he'd call his parents and I could stay with them. I hate to say this but, do you think anyone here would do that?
    2015 T@b Max S.  TV=2016 Ford Explorer
    Nights in T@b  35 (As of 3/2020)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Wobbs, You bet I do. Here in Washington State, folks pull together when disaster strikes. Mud slides, wildfires, floods, wind storms, volcanoes [Mt. St. Helens], we get 'em all and you wouldn't believe the amount of folks willing to volunteer, and /or feed and shelter those in need.
    I will have to agree that our neighbors to the north are great folks. I don't think I have ever dealt with either a French Canadian, or those from British Columbia that I didn't like. Aside from that, I have traveled quite a bit into B.C., and have to say, very beautiful country, and really nice folks too. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    SnapDogSnapDog Member Posts: 53
    @Alan, Come visit the BC West Coast ! Lot's of great places to camp here and geez, look what a great rep we have.  B)
    Sn@pDog, 2017 Outback, Silver w/black trim