Options

3 way norcold fridge

I'm just wondering, is the fridge can be used to stored frozen item?
2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
  • Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    How low can it go Temp wise?
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    But, they will take a while to thaw - In my experience, 2-3 days if you put them below the fins.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    I have unintentionally had vegetables freeze solid when I put the thermostat too low.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

Crank up the cold and you'll definitely get the temperature well below 32 degrees.
    In theory you could box in the top shelf along with the cooling fins. The enclosed section would be for frozen goods while bottom shelf and doors would be warmer.
    You could experiment with some cardboard and a thermometer to see if the temps would vary enough.
    The thermostat sensor might not handle this setup or the mod might cause excessive ice to form on the fins.
    Has anyone tried anything like this?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217

Crank up the cold and you'll definitely get the temperature well below 32 degrees.
    In theory you could box in the top shelf along with the cooling fins. The enclosed section would be for frozen goods while bottom shelf and doors would be warmer.
    You could experiment with some cardboard and a thermometer to see if the temps would vary enough.
    The thermostat sensor might not handle this setup or the mod might cause excessive ice to form on the fins.
    Has anyone tried anything like this?

I saw this mod on one of the FB forums, I think. Instead of cardboard which will get soggy quickly the modder used thin styrofoam.

The first time I tried my fridge on propane it got to 23F overnight!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Okay, the plans are on the T@B Camping Trailers FB page. Go to the Files section and look for Norcold 3136 SuperFreezer.pdf
  • Options
    Photomom - What the heck setting did you use to get 23?
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    @PXLated, on last trip, pork chops placed under the fins in an aluminum tray inside a thin plastic bag (unfrozen to start) froze solid when my fridge got down to 25 degrees on "4".  They were still frozen solid after I turned the fridge off and drove scenic highway 78 home from Carlsbad, stopping in Julian, CA for apple pie -- about a four hour trip.  

Bottled/canned drinks and other packaged food was very cold but not frozen like the chops.

The freezing occurred while on propane.

Salads/veggies never do well in there for me as I wind up freezing those too.  User error, I am sure.

@Jltab I have no doubt that if I pre-cooled on "5" using propane and loaded up with only frozen items it would hold as a freezer for quite some time.  
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Photomom - What the heck setting did you use to get 23?
    I left it on 3.5, the same setting that gives me 36F on shore power.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, I've found on settings of 3.5 to 4 on propane, if you set things right under, or right next to the fins, they get REALLY cold, sometimes freeze[Mostly right underneath]. Lower down, and away from the fins are places we put stuff for regular "fridge cooling" ie: milk, and cold drinks. 
    RollingLagrima, Yup, Don't put the salad/veggies or eggs next to the fins, we experienced, and learned the same way as you. Pre-cooling keeps things frozen for a while, but definitely not made for a freezer. I'll have to try the "box" around the fins, sounds intriguing.  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I generally run on 3.5-4 and haven't experienced the freezing - or maybe aven't noticed as the things I keep under the fins are the things I pull out the least.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Just sayin' frozen eggs suck! :s:o Be careful! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I was suggesting cardboard as an experiment to see what the temp difference is between the top enclosed section and the rest of the frig.
    If it works the enclosed section could be a plastic box, sheet metal, or Styrofoam like the super freezer PDF on FB suggests.
    Frig in our old camper van had a metal tray on top with drip pan below. Stuff always froze up there but not much room other than a mini ice cube tray plus one or two frozen food boxes.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    True you can get things to freeze, but you can not get the temp low enough to be a proper freezer. Proper freezing needs to be maintained at around 0'. Just keeping things at 20' to 30' would probably do more damage than good.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Come to think of it, I did have frozen eggs once (were stored in door shelf in front of fins) and they do suck :-)
  • Options
    True you can get things to freeze, but you can not get the temp low enough to be a proper freezer. Proper freezing needs to be maintained at around 0'. Just keeping things at 20' to 30' would probably do more damage than good.
    Agreed. Not a good mod if you need freezer storage, but should be fine for short trips with frozen foods to be used within X days.