Options

I-80 OH Turnpike Service Areas - Overnight Camping & Dump Station

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited October 2014 in Camping & Travel

I discovered that 8 of the OH Turnpike service plazas, on I-80, have a handful of overnight parking sites available in an RV section. These sites have

• Electric
  • Potable water fill, 
  • Dump station, 
  • $20 per night - self-pay station
  • Truckers showers (individual) available to those paying the overnight fee,
  • Access to 24 hr restrooms, food courts, laundry, and other service plazas amenities

There are 4 eastbound and 4 westbound. They are spread out pretty evenly across the state. I checked out the Brady's Leap and Portage service plazas and they were clean, well lit, and not far from the service plaza building.

I was really pleased to find these as they make great places for an overnight stop on the way through. If nothing else, the dump stations are convenient. It does not list the cost for dumping only. I plan on contacting them to find out the fee (if any.)

UPDATE:

I called the Turnpike Commission customer service today and the representative said that there was no charge to use the dump station. Woohoo for Ohio!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Thanks, Jenn.  It would be great to know if there are other service areas on U.S. Interstates that have this feature.  I have not run across this yet, as most rest areas have signs that say, "No Overnight Parking."

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

According to Frugal RV, 16 states allow overnight parking at rest areas:

• Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • Connecticut
    • Illinois -– only on Illinois Toll Road
    • Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
    • Kansas
    • Nevada
    • New Mexico
    • New York - emergencies only
    • Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
    • Oklahoma
    • Oregon - 14-hour limit
    • Texas
    • Virginia

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Great research, Jenn.  I would have never even thought to check that out, since I KNOW Colorado doesn't allow it.  :-*
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options

Once you hit the mountains in CO, you are good to go, but there is nothing between the border and the front range if you are coming via I-76 or I-70!

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Really like the Frugal-RV site.  Great information.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Walmart?   :D
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options

Mike, unfortunately a fair amount of Walmart in Colorado do not permit overnight parking. With all of the camping options in the state, I can understand why that is.

I called the OH Turnpike Commission today and verified that you may use the dump station at no charge if you are not camping.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Nah, I wouldn't be staying in a Walmart in Colorado and have traveled it extensively from North to south, east to west and it's one of my favorite destinations, having traveled throughout the state about 9-10 times now.  I have friends in Steamboat and another buddy out in Craig, CO.   I love the Rockies!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Used the dump station this weekend. It sure is convenient. I had dry camped the weekend before and there was no nearby dump station so I took it with me on my OH trip this weekend and dumped it on the way home. Score! (and Go Zips!)