Options

7 pin and the RF brake controller

So, we just came back from having our hitch and 7 pin wiring installed on our minivan.  We discovered that they did not include the wiring to the electric "brake pin" as we told them we would be using a RF controller.  Can anyone confirm if we do not need the full 7 pin?  They messed up our request for 10 gauge wire for the ground wire as well.  This from a highly rated and recommended local trailer and hitch experts in business since 1935.  

Thanks,  Sharon
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Can't answer that but think I'd have the brake wire installed either way as that's what's expected if you ever trade in / sell sometime in the future.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    So, apparently, that is the whole point of a RF brake controller - no brake wire needed.  But I am still going to have it installed - never know if we may need a different brake controller in our future or for resale.  You can't assume anything when you have something installed.  Did not think I would receive 6 pin service for 7 pin price:)
  • Options
    ccgillccgill Member Posts: 2
    Am keenly interested to learn the outcome of this; we just purchased a 2017 MAX S Sofitel and will need to have the existing 4-pin set up on our 2012 RAV4 (6 cylinder) converted to a 7-pin.  I have ordered an RF brake controller which has 7 pins.  We are total newbies to travel trailers.  I guess one of my primary concerns is that the T@B battery gets charged and supplies power to the fridge while being towed, which would mean using a 7-pin, correct?

Scott & Cindy

2017 T@B Max S towed by a 2012 6-cyl RAV 4

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    ccgill - Ya, a four-pin is just lights. A seven should have the brakes and power/charge wires.
  • Options
    Even though the 7 pin is designed to have a brake wire for traditional dash mounted controllers, apparently it is not necessary with the RF brake controller option as the trailer brakes receive communication via the RF module in the cab.  E trailer has a nice picture that I will try to post.  It was difficult to find this answer spelled out!  Our installer is going to complete our job and provide the brake wire which will not interfere with the RF controller.  Make sure you request your installer to provide a fused "hot wire/battery charge wire" using 10 gauge wire to provide power from the TV battery to the RF power module mounted on the trailer tongue as well as to charge your Tab battery and keep your frig cool.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    4 pin to 7 pin for Prodigy RF brake controller.  Note no brake wire required.
  • Options
    ccgillccgill Member Posts: 2
    Thank you PLXated, and especially SAM for the detailed information; just what I needed to know.  I was able to open the 7 pin for RF brake con....  image but could not access the etrailer link/image. Are they similar/the same?  Hopefully we can get this taken care of in the next week or so and we can take our first trip with our new T@B!!!

Scott & Cindy

2017 T@B Max S towed by a 2012 6-cyl RAV 4

• Options
    SteveWSteveW Member Posts: 12
    SAM said:
    Even though the 7 pin is designed to have a brake wire for traditional dash mounted controllers, apparently it is not necessary with the RF brake controller option as the trailer brakes receive communication via the RF module in the cab.  E trailer has a nice picture that I will try to post.  It was difficult to find this answer spelled out!  Our installer is going to complete our job and provide the brake wire which will not interfere with the RF controller.  Make sure you request your installer to provide a fused "hot wire/battery charge wire" using 10 gauge wire to provide power from the TV battery to the RF power module mounted on the trailer tongue as well as to charge your Tab battery and keep your frig cool.
    Sam - I don't think that's quite right... The RF brake controller does not get its breaking signals from the hand held in cab unit. As a test to prove this drive without it plugged in to the cigarette lighter.  Pretty sure that the brake lights line from the car in combination with a deceleration sensor is used by the controller to actuate the trailer brakes... By how much is a function of that deceleration. Not to confuse but the break light wire is of course different than than the ebrake wire. I have the first but not the second coming from the car - hence my need to add a break controller. 

The hand held in cab unit is used for setup, manual trailer braking and the thing I keep forgetting to turn off the ebrakes prior to reversing. 

Reformed tent campers now in Ab T@B - 2016 Outback
  • Options
    ccgill, the picture and the link are the same pictures.  I am still not good with attaching pictures!  I removed the redundant one.

SteveW, you are correct, it is not that simple.  Indeed, brakes will work if the RF signal is lost- reverts to the last settings applied.  Yes, the brake light line and the sensor contribute.  There is a better explanation from Etrailer that I will try to post. Bottom line is that the TV 7 pin must include wiring for a 12 Volt charge wire and braking lights, but not an electric brake wire.

Sharon