Options

AL-KO Axle Bearings/Parts

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I think I finally found the correct part numbers for the bearings and other replacement parts for my AL-KO Axle.  I crawled under the T@B and got the axle part number and serial number which I sent by email to AL-KO.  This was located on a sticker in the center of the axle (not real easy to get to).  They replied with the model number of the axle and the corresponding part numbers.  They also gave me the nearest distribution facility from which I could order the parts.

The part number of my axle is 1445589, which means it is a model U29.  I have attached a pdf of that model that lists the part numbers.  Please keep in mind that if your part number/model number is different, these will not apply to your application.

I have not taken these numbers yet to a parts store to see if I can purchase them locally.  If I can't, I will order from the distribution facility.

The AL-KO site is www.al-koaxis.com. It has a contact feature on the site if you need it.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    So, Larry, your T@B isn't that old -- why do you think you need to replace your axle and bearings so soon?  How many miles do you have, approx., on T@B?  Are you experiencing difficulty braking?  Just last night I was reading my Al-KO manual (little light reading), and was wondering how I would know if I have to replace anything?  Thanks! :(
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Oh, no.  Everything is fine, as far as I know.  I just wanted to order spare bearings to carry in case one went out.  I have read too many stories about people having trouble and having problem finding readily available parts real quick.  I hope I am wasting my money and that I never have to use them.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I was able to find complete bearing kits on eTrailer for about $12 per wheel by using the cross-reference numbers.  They are made by a different company, and I'm not sure of the quality, but they will do for spares.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Okay, whew!  I don't need to worry about that so soon since I don't have any of the symptoms mentioned in the Al-KO manual.  You are always on top of everything, Larry!  Do you think you could do the repair work yourself? 

When are you taking T@B out again?  This fall?  I'm going to the Colorado/New Mexico border, hopefully, next weekend.  Probably the last time before the snow flies here in Colorado.

:D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options

Pretty sure I could repack/change bearings and maybe adjust brakes if needed.  Not so sure beyond that.

I plan to attend a Mountain Man Rendezvous at a state park in Kansas the last of next week.  Also hope to incorporate some travel on old Route 66 in MO, OK, and TX.  I had originally planned to do the Million Dollar Highway right after, but the threat of snow scared me off.  Hope to do that sometime next summer.

The colors in CO should be happening about now or a little later, if I remember correctly.  Should be a great trip.  Have fun.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    My axle is an Alko u29 also but my part number is 1447179.... This axle has a 2 1/4 hub / drum...
    these are parts diagrams and list that I have been able to find....

• Options
    GidGid Member Posts: 4
    I think all you relay need is the T@B serial number and call Pleasant Vally for the parts. They also have the Dutchman parts. 
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Well I conversed extensively on the Little Guy site with Chris, who was very helpful, and it took them awhile to identify the correct axle...since that particular axle comes in 2 different hub sizes, after contacting Alko directly they contacted me back...2 1/4 inch hub.
    My understanding is that they purchase these axles prefabricated. 
    Are you certain they stock the bearing and brake parts for this axle? That was not my impression after talking with them.
    You will need the VIN number AND date of manf since they have changed manufacturers recently.

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Axle info the easy way. No need to crawl under you T@B. Let your zoom lens do it.image
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Dexter Axle Company bought out AL-KO and the T@B trailers are outfitted with AL-KO axles per Scott Hubble, factory CEO.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options

So, today I finally built up the courage to tackle the repacking of the bearings.  I jacked up the trailer, put down the jacks, and put jack stands underneath (safety first, ya know).  When I removed the first wheel, I noticed some pitting and uneven wear on the tire....Well, #(*&##^*&)*!!!  The tires are less than three years old, and I was planning on running them through the summer.  But, I put the wheel back on and am on the prowl tomorrow for a new set of tires.  I hope to find, or order, a set of Maxxis 8008 ST205/75R14.  These are 6 ply steel belted radials.  Same size that's on now, but a different brand.

I had been running the tires at 40 psi.  I may increase that a little on the new tires, and I plan to have them balanced.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Larry, I have Carlisle tires on my Silver Shadow.  They are good.  My neighbor, the mechanic, said they were the best trailer tires I could buy.  His opinion, and your's my differ.

And, I have an appointment to have the bearing greased and repacked.  I just have no desire to mess with that grease.  The utility trailer company that put the axle on last fall will be taking care of this messy deed.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    +1 for Carlisle tires
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options

Well, I have done lots of research on the tire thing, and as you might expect, there is a wide range of opinion.  Almost every brand included some sad story about how they failed after just a few miles.  Someone else might praise the same brand as lasting forever.  

Of course, the two most important aspects of trailer tires are age and proper inflation, so any tire will fail if given the right opportunity.  I certainly appreciate the above recommendations, but I still plan to try the Maxxis, if I can find them.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

The Maxxis tires came today.  They really look good.  Will have them mounted tomorrow. 

Now the bad news.  While I had the tires off, I decided to tackle the wheel bearing repack.  Long story short:  The T@B is up on jack stands right now, and I ordered new bearings from an AL-KO distributer in Oklahoma.  What looked so simple in the video turned out to be a pain in the ***. 

For one thing, AL-KO put some kind of goop (for lack of a better word) on the seals that made them almost impossible to get out.  I looked through all the old scrap tools I had until I found something with which I could drive the seal out from the other side.

Then, the bearings I ordered were slightly different from the old ones although the numbers stamped on them were the same (fingers crossed that the ones ordered from AL-KO will be the same).  Looking back now, I should have just cleaned and repacked the old bearings, but as cheap as they are, I figured why not just use new ones.

I have to get this done soon as I plan to be on the road in a couple of weeks.  As my dear old mother sometimes says, "It's always something."

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    When I had mine done, the mechanic was swearing under his breath on the first side. Second side went faster. $84 + a part.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

So, the T@B now has new tires and new bearings.  I wouldn't dare put in print the happenings of the last two days, but it would make a good campfire story.  It has to include the loss of a set of keys and where they were found the next day.

Now, time to de-winterize, wash and wax, and finish the porch light project (parts due Saturday).  Then, it's off into the wild blue yonder, or should I say wild green yonder, or wild red rocks yonder, or just yonder....

BTW, good thing I decided to put in new bearings from the start.  The bearings did not show any ill effects that I could see, but the races were lightly scratched.  They had almost 9,000 miles on them in just over one year, but had never been repacked.  I had added grease a couple of times, however.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map