Options

Generator dual fuel

we are new to the T@b community. We have a 2017 Outback edition S Max model. Husband thinks we should buy a generator and he's convinced it should be "dual fuel" and run on propane or gasoline. Just wondering if there is a downside to this?  He has his eye in one at Home Depot. I am not so sure because this thing weighs 90 lbs. so far we have only camped (and made future reservations) in state parks, KOAs, etc with electric hookups. We do plan to do some boondocking in the 4 corners area, where we plan to retire. I'd like to know if anyone has a dual fuel generator?  Does anyone wish they had a dual fuel model?

link is below:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-000-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Powered-Portable-Generator-Runs-on-LPG-or-Regular-Gasoline/206203643

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    For what it's worth, I don't have this type of generator, I think it's called "contractor" generator, but camping out next to someone that had wasn't a good experience, obnoxiously loud! I don't think you will make too many friends camping with it.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have the Honda, gas. Dual fuel might be nice or just propane sice I'm carrying that around allready. I'd be more concerned with the weight. Mine's half that weight and rarely pull it out for one or two nighters. At 90, It'd probably never get pulled out :-)
    Also, how noisy is it? National Parks have max db (noise) restrictions. Some enforce, others are lax but it's one of the reasons I bought the Honda.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I think there's a company that provides conversion kits for the Honda and Yamaha generators (the quiet ones). 
    Check out http://www.centralmainediesel.com
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW - Ya, someone here had there's converted - Been awhile since that post though.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    That is definitely not a camp generator. I doubt if you will like the noise it makes. And I know no one around you will. We have owned a couple of generations and never felt the need for more than one source of fuel since both are  readily available.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Yep, want to be the most hated in the campground, have a noisy generator. And for extra hate points, run it outside the designated generator hours. 
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I have the same gen but in the propane only version. Very happy with it. It's a little noisy but the upside is no fumes and no gasoline smell. I have run it on a 1lb disposable canisters and it worked fine. I don't find the noise to be too much more than the smaller hondas and the like. 
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The Homedepot website has the 4,000 W dual fuel rated at 69 DB and the Honda 2,000 W gas only at 59 DB. Both noise levels at "operational." I'm no engineer, but that seems like a huge difference.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, If 'ya really want to get hated in a campground [Liz and I had a personal experience with this one] park a motor home in a tent only site, run your loud- #%*  generator 10- 12 hours a day, and NEVER LEAVE THE CAMPER! Finally after day two, they were explicitly asked to leave immediately by both the Park Ranger, and Camp Host after a rash of complaints. I don't so much mind the folks that are considerate, and only run long enough to re-charge, that I understand. It's the ones that run it constantly to sit in their air conditioned motor home all day and watch television. My question....why bother camping? STAY HOME! :D  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I had one a couple years ago where they'd run their gen for the entirety of the gen hours window and it was a big old noisy one. They'd even run it when they were gone. Lots of complaints. I left for three days and when I got back, no gen noise. Asked around and evidently a couple guys snuck up in the middle of the night a permanetly disabled the thing. Never did find out exactly what they did though - thinking sugar in the gas tank.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited December 2016
    At 59 dB Honda/Yamaha obviously considered where their units would be used the most.
    You could probably run 'em in a library without disturbing most people. ;)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Every 3 db seems twice as loud.  If that helps you understand the difference in relative noise level.
    John 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    db numbers are very misleading. A small difference in the numbers reflects a big difference in sound level.jcfaber1 said:
    Every 3 db seems twice as loud.  If that helps you understand the difference in relative noise level.
    John 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    PXLated said:
    Is it logarithmic? 
    Yes, 10DB difference is 10 times louder
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    PXLated said:
    I had one a couple years ago where they'd run their gen for the entirety of the gen hours window and it was a big old noisy one. They'd even run it when they were gone. Lots of complaints. I left for three days and when I got back, no gen noise. Asked around and evidently a couple guys snuck up in the middle of the night a permanetly disabled the thing. Never did find out exactly what they did though - thinking sugar in the gas tank.
    That's just too funny! :rofl:

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    At 90 lbs, you won't be moving it around at all.  Most people with the larger units have them mounted to the back of their open bed pick-up trucks.  The Outback platform is probably too small for the footprint of the 4000W unit.  Also, the one appliance that uses the most juice is the air conditioner.  Any 2000W unit would be sufficient to run the A/C.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 934
    Most 2kw generators will not run the CoolCat.  The smaller AC units are probably fine with a 2kw unit.  The starting current of the AC compressor is the limiting factor.

• Options
    Redaunt has a 2017 Outback S, so they should be OK with a 2000W.  Did not know about the CoolCat needing more power.