Replacing stabilizing jacks with leveling jacks (Revisited)

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
edited December 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades

How to install rear leveling jacks. With no modification to jacks or trailer. A simple adapter plate can be made from an 11" piece of 2"x 3/16 flat piece of steel from Home Depot.
The yellow circle measurement should be 
5 1/4” not 5 3/4”

Tools  required  are a hack saw and drill with 7/16" drill bit. 3/8"x 1"  carriage bolt. For the best fit the dome on the bolt can be filed or ground down flat.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 972
    edited December 2016
    Nice description!!

BTW - Lowes (and other hardware stores) have "elevator bolts" which are a flat head version of "carriage bolts".  Might save a little filing.  Just FYI

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    rfuss928 said:
    Nice description!!

BTW - Lowes (and other hardware stores) have "elevator bolts" which are a flat head version of "carriage bolts".  Might save a little filing.  Just FYI
    Correct thanks for the input.  Most people would not know what an elevator bolt is.  Could not find them at Home Depot. Lowe's does carry a much larger selection.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I get drilling holes but, how do you get the square cut out for the "carriage bolt" or "elevator bolts"?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    dsatwork said:
    I get drilling holes but, how do you get the square cut out for the "carriage bolt" or "elevator bolts"?
    Use a square file or hammer to drive it home. Tightening it down with nut will also work. The adapter should be bolted to the jack first then bolted to trailer.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nice description on the install Dale! Now, back to the lawn chair & another cup of coffee for the next mod! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

ericnliz said:
    Nice description on the install Dale! Now, back to the lawn chair & another cup of coffee for the next mod! ;)
    You bet. This is an inside joke between ericnliz and I but true.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,509
    If I'm sitting by Eric i will be taking notes... :-)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I DO get mine in once in a while! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Dale, we may want to split this off to another discussion. But with all the mode you've done, I see you still have the tire mounted under the trailer. Have you considered a creating a skid plate for it? I'm going to need to leave mine in place and all the discussions seem to center around moving it because it drags potentially causing damage. Dave 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    dsatwork said:
    Dale, we may want to split this off to another discussion. But with all the mode you've done, I see you still have the tire mounted under the trailer. Have you considered a creating a skid plate for it? I'm going to need to leave mine in place and all the discussions seem to center around moving it because it drags potentially causing damage. Dave 
    In nearly 3 years and over 8000 miles I have never had any problem with the tire mounted underneath. I am mindful that it is there though. With storage at a premium I am pleased the builders mounted it there they did.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Dale thanks that's good to know
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited December 2016
    Suggest you edit this post (like the original) to include a pic with jack closed so people can see how small that is.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    edited December 2016
    Suggest you edit this post (like the original) to include a pic with jack closed so people can see how small that is.

Good idea
    1. Hash  T@B Fun