Options

Single Waste Discharge for the Outback

The aluminum platform on the Outback covers the grey water valve and discharge port making it necessary to get on your hands and knees to empty that tank.  I had enough and decided to combine the grey and black discharge ports into one.  The challenge was where to put the grey water valve for easy access.  Shawn M. (Pop-T@B) did something similar and posted his mod on the forum and provided me with additional information.  He's the one who recommended the cable operated valve.  Sorry for the poor photo quality, they were taken at night.

This is the cable valve (Amazon about twenty bucks).  You can see the cable in the opening.  The valve is in the closed position.

Here is the handle that operates the cable.  I used a simple piece of aluminum for the "L" bracket.  Made sure
is was not in the way of the battery.

As you can see, the cable handle is downright ugly, so I didn't want it showing on the outside of the T@B.
Hence the location in the propane tub.

The arrow shows the location of the factory grey valve and discharge port.  Gone! much more ground 
clearance now and no getting on my hands and knees.

This is taken from the front of the T@B looking back.  You can see the bottom of the Outback platform.  
Notice the slight angle of the cable valve - needed because of the curved front of the T@B.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Looks like a nice fix.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    R_CUP_A_TabR_CUP_A_Tab Member Posts: 12
    This is a great idea and implementation. Definitely added on my todo list!
    2017 T@B S Max; 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5L; Curt Hitch
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    I discovered a slight drainage issue because of the metal trailer frame being in the way. Think I may have that solved. Will post the fix if it works.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    You did it! You said you would and it looks great. I'm not a bit surprised that you spend Christmas Eve on the ground under your tab fine-tuning your sewer solution. ;-))
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Finally got this mod to work.  The three goals were (1) a single discharge port, (2) easy access because of the Outback platform covering the factory grey valve and discharge port, and (3) maximize ground clearance for boondocking.
    Here is a photo of the finished product (replaced the plumbers tape with zip ties for better appearance).  VERY easy to get to.  Goals #1 and #2 met!

Goal #3 met! the lowest part of the discharge port is 12" from the ground.  In comparison, the T@B frame is 15" from the ground.  Very pleased with this part.

This fitting is the key to making this work (yellow arrow).  It's a 22-1/2 degree 3" SPG x H.  You must tilt this fitting downward so that the 1-1/2 pipe just touches the bottom of the T@B frame (red arrow).  If this isn't done, the end of the discharge will be level or tilted upward resulting in water being trapped in the T fitting aft of the black and grey valves.  Very unsanitary.

The yellow line below shows the bottom of the T Fitting. It must be tilted downward at the end to allow sufficient slope for drainage.  The problem area is the T@B frame getting in the way of the 1-1/2 pipe going into the T Fitting (yellow arrow).

This is the last connection to be made.  Cut just enough 1-1/2 pipe to get into the rubber clamps on either side.

Bad photo, but the yellow arrow shows the bottom of 1-1/2 pipe.  The top of this pipe must be snug against the bottom of the T@B frame in order to tilt the T Fitting downward.

Big thanks to Pop-Tab and Dale H for their ideas and photos!  You two made this mod possible.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Outback your welcome. I love it when a plan comes together.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 83
    Decide to attempt the single discharge on my 2017 Outback, but ran into the platform vs gray discharge valve problem.  I stole liberally from @Tabaz and @Dalehelman and came up with the following solution that has fewer parts and eliminates having to cut the 2 three inch connectors.
    I have edited Dales excellent parts list with comments/rationale)

3" abs 22 1/2 degree elbow HD  $9.24 AMZN  $7.68
    3" abs 22 1/2 degree STREET elbow Lowes (moves whole assembly back to clear Outback Platform)
    3" abs 90 degree elbow with an 1 1/2 take out  HD   $12.43
      (3 in. x 3 in. x 1-1/2 in. ABS DWV 90 Degree Hub x Hub x Hub Elbow with Low Heel)

1 1/2" rubber elbow with hose clamps HD  $6.84
    2ea. 3"  diameter x 2" wide black abs pipe. HD   $7.75 for 2’
    Small can of abs cement  HD   $4.88 8oz AMZN  $3.55 4oz
    Total $41.14     $35.36 (w/ 2 HD)

RV PARTS STORE (For the gate valves)

3" bayonet slip fit  MALE AMZN   $6.88 (No need for 3" connector pipe)
    3" bristol spigot end AMZN   $7.75
    1 1/2 Bristol spigot end AMZN   $5.06
    Lasalle Bristol 66V1515 1-1/2" Anonda Slip Socket AMZN (cut existing 1 1/2 in about 5" from valve end, so don't need new pipe)

First replace 3" valve with new spigot end.

Dry fit all parts

I cut the 1 1/2 inch pipe about 5" from valve and had about 2 inches of slack at final fit.
    Adjust the angle of the elbow to get desired fit, glue all parts, remove rubber elbow, bolt spigot end to trailer, cut 1 1/2 in pipe on tank and valve, slip on rubber elbow. Have a beer! 
    Clearance is 5 in below trailer frame. Could have tweeked the 22 1/2 elbow and upped that an inch or so.

2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @DaveC looks great....it's always good to see how this mod evols.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited October 2017
    Nice work. I love to come up with new ideas. If you like them It's up to you to make them yours.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I gotta get on this project... 
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I assume you can reuse the gray gates valve?  
  • Options
    Love DaveC's location of the gray valve, just can't get my fat forearm between the Outback platform and front of the trailer.  I'll be moving my Zamp outlet to the front of the tub for the same reason.  Just a side note, the cable activated gray valve seems to impress on the first date.
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 83
    Rolltide82, yes you reuse the gray water valve and the upstream pipe, you just bolt on the new male end that goes into the 1 1/2 port on the elbow.
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90