Options

Front window broken!

I towed T@@bulous over the a mountain pass today, and discovered the front window is completely shattered!  It's intact, but looks like a pretty spider web with a small hole where something hit.

We had the older style tempered glass window that doesn't open.  It looks like all the replacements are the opening type.  Sweet!

Has anyone done a conversion to this new window before?  Will I need to cut the hole larger or need special sealants?  I'm handy, but should I leave this to an RV shop instead?
T@@bulous
2014 T@B CS Maxx
TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
Martha Lake, WA

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Have you checked with your insurance, you might be covered.

I would leave it to a shop.  The windows are framed in the roof, so the hole can't really be made any larger.  I don't know about sizing, you will have to reach out to NüCamp to tell you that.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I doubt the cost to fix is over the deductible, especially if I can fix it myself.  I'll need to look it up but I think it's 500.

I figured if it's a simple swap I'll do it myself.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Just talked to the RV dealer today.  They recommend I buy the window myself from the teardrop shop and give them an hour or so to install it.  That would save me from their markup, and I can get it faster than they can as well!

If I want, I could also have a glass dealer replace it but since original glass is curved and rounded on the corners it could complicate things.  Besides, it would be nice to have a window that opens on the front and it's double paned, so I gain some insulation value.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.  It's the slow season at the dealer do they only need a week notice to do the work.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Try calling Elsie at NuCampRV. Phone numbers at the right side of the page. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    NuCampRV closes at 4:30 pm EST...it's too late todayby my watch. Try for tomorrow. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Definitely look it up. Our RV policy includes full glass coverage.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Zero deductible on glass?  Huh, I guess I'll need to call up state farm on that.  Usually you have to pay more and ask for it, or at least I thought?  I'll call them up!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    The deductible is $250.  It would save me $150 to make a claim but I'm concerned it might cause my rates to go up?  Should I just do it out of pocket?
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I think it was an extra $20 a year for the T@B. Well worth it. We've used it several times for various cars.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    The previous owner of my T@B had to get the front window replaced, and she opted for stationary flat glass. It was a disaster. Lucky for me, it blew out when I was driving the trailer home. I decided to have it replaced with the real deal. I ordered the curved front window from Tear Drop Shop. It was $298.57 with shipping and arrived within a week. Tomorrow I'm taking it to my awesome auto glass shop to have it installed for $150 to $200. Here is the window, and it had more hardware and all the weatherstripping. Can't wait!
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited January 2017

Very cool. It is something I have considered doing.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    OK! Still not resolved with the replacement window. The auto glass place says I need a frame. Elsie in the parts department of the Pleasant Valley factory says there is no frame. She offered to call them and explain how it's done. That's pretty awesome of her.
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    Just picked it up from the RV dealer.  I love it!  Such an improvement over the dark tinted solid glass it had previously.  It looks more "European" than before, and it matches the style of the side windows.

That said....Install was $500.  I *will* definitely be claiming this against insurance.

I'd recommend this upgrade for anyone who still has the non opening front window, if you get a chance. 
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA